CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Need advice on how to get started with my goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reagan View Post
Yea im not too worried about losing anything with my runs, even on my worst days i usually can get a sub 9min 1.5 mile. But when i start track in about a month i end up doing at least 50 mins everyother day of long distance cardio so im worried that im not going to be able to put any mass on, it does give me more time in weight room though with a coach who knows the lifts. So if i were to calculate how many calories i was burning through the day and in the long runs and then compensated by consuming an extra amount, i would estimate around 5-6000 calories, would i be able to put on more muscle while still doing my running program?
Possibly, but why would you want to make things any harder than they have to be? It's not just calories, it's the fact that doing lots of endurance work tends to break muscle down. Then you've got all the cortisol considerations.

If you're determined to run, switch to some sprints on a weekly basis--100m or 400m repeats, something like that. Continuing to do distance work will make it very hard for you to get bigger and stronger. Now, if you don't have a choice because that's what your track coach makes you do, then I don't know what to tell you....your participation in track is going to conflict somewhat with your overall goals.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
Dave Reagan

Profile:

Im not too concrerned about my record or pr's in track, its more of a way for me to spend more time in the gym at school since ive already been "warned" at planet fitness, which im assuming equals: stop trying to build muscle and get on an elliptical.

I told my coach today that id like to switch from the distance squad to the sprint squad and explained why and he agreed itd be in my best interest, so ill be running the 400 and 400 relay in addition to discus this season.

Thanks Eric and everyone else for the advice.

Last edited by Dave Reagan : 02-10-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Switching to the 400 sounds like a good bet for your goals--compare Michael Johnson's physique circa 1996 to what your average 5K+ runner looks like. My guess is that Michael Johnson wins on all 10 of the general physical skills aside from CV endurance. Running 400s will be much more conducive to your goals of getting bigger and stronger, and I would argue that it'll have more carryover to what you'll be doing in the Marine Corps than lots of distance running would.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
Dave Reagan

Profile:

I know its not the right section, but ive been reading through threads on the paleo diet that they recommend and science and nutrition is not my strong point so im not sure if its exactly what im looking for? Im also the kind of person that needs a strict plan to adhere to because ive knoticed that if i follow general rules or guidlines i get disorganized and lose track of things. So do i go with a strict paleo or whats my best course of action for the next few months?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Read Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution." That should answer all your questions and give you some solid guidelines to get started.

Whole9's blog also has some good information, as does Mark's Daily Apple. Simple answer is that you eat a wide variety of quality, unprocessed foods in enough quantity to support your activity level and your goals.