CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Kevin McCahill

Profile:
Am I blindly programming?

Need advice from experienced programmers or more experienced CF’rs.

Quick background – 5'7 155 lbs former endurance athlete - marathons/Ironman - Crossfitting for 4 months, have good speed and above average GPP. Looking to build strength and size….Very new to the OLY lifts but love doing them.

3 days on 1 day off -
I do the WOD from Catalyst Athletics but lighter than Rx’d b/c I am still building and working on form. (Was recommended on this board)

After this WOD I cherry pick another WOD.
– 1 from the heavy hybrid (on this board) – 1 with more speed metcon benchmarks/bodyweight – and one endurance/CFFB

After reading about conjugate/starting strength/OLY hybrids I feel overwhelmed and worry I may be overtraining or undertraining by not 1RP ME each week. Thoughts? Direction?

Thanks all...love this stuff!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Am I blindly programming?

You're doing 3 WOD's per day, 6 days per week?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCahill View Post
Looking to build strength and size….
Can you quantify this a little better? Might help to get you some more specific advice.

Also...with that volume of metcons, I'd imagine it's gonna be hard to put on size without making eating your second job.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

As far as size and strength, I would like to be stronger in the power lifts and OLY lifts. Since I have been in the endurance world for so long I feel very weak in this area.

I do not do three wods a day, I do the CA workout for olympic/strength exercises and then a WOD from main/CFFB/hybrid. I guess you can say I do two WODS each day for a three day cycle.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
As far as size and strength, I would like to be stronger in the power lifts and OLY lifts. Since I have been in the endurance world for so long I feel very weak in this area.

I do not do three wods a day, I do the CA workout for olympic/strength exercises and then a WOD from main/CFFB/hybrid. I guess you can say I do two WODS each day for a three day cycle.

Thanks!
That's a lot, especially if your primary goal is strength and size. You'll need to eat a ton just to maintain, and the metcons will slow recovery from the strength work.

Katherine
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
James White

Profile:

Quote:

Thanks!
Right. But what is stronger?

Are you trying to reach a 600# deadlift from a current 450#?

Or do you have a 225# dead and want to see 315#?

The answers will be different, and dependent on your background (I know you said you're endurance, but have you done a novice linear progression such as Starting Strength?).
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

Sorry James...I would like to move deadlift from 225 to 300 - Clean from 115 to 150 - squat from 180 to 250. I have never done any organized strength program. I was a "globo gym" drone who used peck-deck/curls..etc.

If SS is a good place for me to start, I guess I would ask if I should/could do WOD's in conjunction with the program. Remember I am coming off of 3.5 average hour workout days with doubles and 6 hour weekend workouts any sometimes feel like I need to "fill" at least an hour each day...maybe this is where I am wrong?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
If SS is a good place for me to start, I guess I would ask if I should/could do WOD's in conjunction with the program. Remember I am coming off of 3.5 average hour workout days with doubles and 6 hour weekend workouts any sometimes feel like I need to "fill" at least an hour each day...maybe this is where I am wrong?
If you still think you need to do more after a 3.5 hour workout, it must not have been a very intense workout....

The usual recommendation for Starting Strength is that you do the SS workouts and nothing else. Most people find that to be plenty, at least once they start moving heavy weights.

Katherine
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Sorry James...I would like to move deadlift from 225 to 300 - Clean from 115 to 150 - squat from 180 to 250. I have never done any organized strength program. I was a "globo gym" drone who used peck-deck/curls..etc.

Thanks!
Understand this is 180 degrees different than all training you are used to. With your endurance background, getting back to that won't be hard.

Do SS and only SS. 3 days a week.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
I would like to move deadlift from 225 to 300 - Clean from 115 to 150 - squat from 180 to 250. I have never done any organized strength program. I was a "globo gym" drone who used peck-deck/curls..etc.

Thanks!
You are not strong. That is a fact. If you want to be strong, you should not do WODs unless you are going to do something like Justin's 70's Big program, and then you need to keep your conditioning short as specified by the program. However, I suspect that this will be difficult for you because you are an endurance fiend. Therefore, my wise opinion is that you should do SS as written for at least 6 weeks before you think about doing anything else.