CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Dave Reagan

Profile:
Need advice on how to get started with my goals

Im new to the crossfit stuff, it was recommended to me by a buddy so ive been doing the workouts on and off for about 2 weeks, mostly when i can get access to the equipment needed,

Ive been lifting for about 5 months and did starting strength and then sorta became undisciplined and havent followed a set routine.

Im 17, 6'1 and 165, im a poolee with the united states Marine corps and leave for bootcamp Parris island june 20th.

Right now im focusing on between now and june 20th

What id like to accomplish is:

Bulk up a little
Build upperbody mass especially chest
increase pullups from current 15 to at least 20
Develop a stronger core and lower back

Is it possible to bulk up while still following my distance running workouts i do?
What should my diet look like to bulk and not put on too much fat?

do you guys do the main page workouts in addition to another workout, and if so how should divide my days up between lifting for each muscle group?

Sorry if thats alot of question but any help or tips are very much appreciated

Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Dave Reagan

Profile:
Re: Need advice on how to get started with my goals

Bump anyone?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Seriously? You're bumping this after 30 minutes?!? Cmon.

- Mark
Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Dave Reagan

Profile:

i apologize, i thought it had posted much earlier than it actually went up.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reagan View Post
Bulk up a little
Build upperbody mass especially chest
increase pullups from current 15 to at least 20
Develop a stronger core and lower back
Starting Strength + GOMAD (Drink a Gallon of Milk a Day, whole milk) will accomplish all these goals.

You are skinny. CrossFit will only put size on you if you really up your calories. If you do CrossFit I suggest making sure to spend time doing dead hang pullups outside of the WODs. The Marine Corps is probably not going to let you kip.

CrossFit + distance running? Watch your recovery and maybe skip an occasional WOD. However, you are young, you may be able to handle the volume.

Starting Strength + distance running? You will screw yourself over and suck at both. Do not do this.

If I were you I would readjust my goals away from size and concentrate on what will help you in the Marines.

What is their PT test, what activities will you do in boot camp? Consider these things in making your goals. Starting Strength will give you more size and strength, but CrossFit will help you with increased GPP (General Physical Preparedness).

You could probably get by doing 3 months of Starting Strength and then focusing on CrossFit + Marine Corps specialization (extra running, pushups, dead hang pullups etc) to get in shape for Parris Island.

Consider your goals, find the appropriate plan and then DO IT. A lot of people (especially young people) jump around from program to program and don't accomplish anything. There is a lot of time to get a lot of work done from now to June 20.... If you get started.

Lastly I want to congratulate you on your decision to enlist in the Marine Corps and thank you for your future service. Take pride in this decision and in the legacy of which you will soon be a part. I suggest you show that pride by being careful in how you represent this institution. It is the United States Marine Corps and you will be training on Parris Island (note the capitalization, this is like not letting a US flag touch the ground.)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

First of all, congratulations on becoming a man. I was an infantry Marine from Sept 2004 - Sept 2008; best decision of my life.

As far as what to expect physically; pull ups, push ups, buddy carries/drags, runs in boots no less than 3 miles, humps that go from before the sun comes up to after the sun goes down with maybe 50 or so pounds of gear. Maybe not if you're not going infantry.

Funny thing is, the POGs (persons other than grunts) are usually a lot bigger than us grunts. Grunts spend a lot of time in the field, on humps, training for combat, and none of that involves deadlifts, bench presses, or what not. And when you get MREs, think of them as a source of calories and nothing else. And you'll also find out why MRE really stands for Meal Refuses to Exit.

I also became a chain smoking alcoholic. Not saying that you will, but it's not uncommon.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Dave Reagan

Profile:

I enlisted as an 03, Im a good athlete and ive never had a problem with strength played defensive line on varsity for 3 years never weighing over 175.

My pt stats are good, my biggest thing is imagining i get put in mortars or machine guns as my mos and having to hump all that weight around, so thats mostly where my wanting to bulk comes in.

Im not sure what day to day life is like at itb or once i get to my unit so i cant really plan what ill be able to do as far as working out.

Maybe even take a stab at BRC if i get the opportunity, i was offered a uz contract to go to brc after soi but i decided it'd be in my best interest to at least spend some time in before worrying about any of that stuff, on top of the fact that it was hard enough to get my mom to let me sign for infantry(she would actually print out details intelligence and logistics mos' and put them on the fridge).

So building some muscle, and more importantly functional strength is what im after, i figure being in good physical condition and learning everything i can while im in will help me be the best Marine possible.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I weighed 137lbs when I went in. Worry more about your knowledge and giving every event 100% that how big you are. I would sugguest back work to prevent injury from weakness there. Otherwise squats and deads will get you as strong as you need where it matters. Pushups are good but you will be doing them past failure anyway ;-)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There's probably a dozen threads dealing with prep for USMC OCS--do a search for them and you'll find some good information. If you're in good OCS shape, you'll be fine at MCRD.

Bottom line in your case--getting bigger and stronger will help you a lot. What are your squat/deadlift/press/bench numbers like? A stronger squat and deadlift will pay off when it's time to hike with a heavy pack or M240 or mortar tube or baseplate. Assuming you can run a decent 3 miles right now, you'd probably benefit from cutting back on some of the endurance work and getting stronger. There's really not that much running in the training schedule so unless you're painfully slow you don't need to worry too much about that right now.

You'll log plenty of time on the quarterdeck and in the sand pits, but there's really no way to prepare for that aside from improving your metcon--those IT sessions will smoke anyone, regardless of your condition, and if you make it look easy your hats will just get you again next chance they get. A lot of the PT (and IT especially) at boot camp isn't really designed to be "smart" training and produce a useful stress/adaptation--it's designed to crush you and make you understand consequences for your mistakes. You're going to be so worn down all the time from moving all day, not getting a whole lot of rest days, eating crappy food, and not sleeping a whole lot, so it's hard to recover from workouts and come back stronger. That's why people who go to boot camp in really good shape often come out of it in worse shape than they started.

What are your current running numbers like, and what kind of training have you been doing?

You're 17 years old, 6'1" and 165lbs--getting fat should be the last thing you're worried about, especially if you're staying active. You've could probably add 40lbs without even beginning to look fat. Just eat a lot of good food and lift heavy and you'll be fine. Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, olive oil, coconut products, nuts, etc.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Dave Reagan

Profile:

Right now my lifts are: Bench-190 Squat- ~300 deadlift-245

Ive deviated from olympic lifts recently and have been focusing mostly on getting my pullups count up, but hopefully when track season starts in a few week ill get back on the ball with that.

As far as my runs, im looking at consistenly an 8:45 1.5 mile ist run and around 19 mins flat on 3 miles. My running plan suffers in the winter and its been especially snowy this year so running outside isnt really possible, im usually stuck on the tread mill doing usually 2 miles everyother day, or the elliptical.

So im not concerened too much with my pft, crunches are good at around 110 consistently. So im looking more to build functional fitness that will put me ahead of the game once i actually get into the infantry, so i was hoping that id run into a few grunts around here that could provide some insight on that.

One other thing i forgot to ask was about workouts involving ruck marches, i bought an alice pack with the frame a few weeks ago and wanted to maybe involve that in my workouts a little bit, im not sure exactly how to weigh it down, what to weigh it down with and how to pack it so i wont damage my back.