CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Jordan Riley McClintock

Profile:
Gymnastics and Barbell Training

Do any of you use gymnastics as your main source of upper body strength work, and barbell training for lower body?

I am just interested, because I was doing a lot of gymnastics work lately as I did not have access to the gym, and I have noticed that it has left me feeling much more sore than barbell training, and since I have returned to barbell training it has carried over nicely. It could be that I am not used to this volume of gymnastics, but I thought it could be cool to ask!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics and Barbell Training

Yes, this is exactly how I fashioned my training (back when I was working out regularly...we'll see how 2011 goes).

I don't think you can get better upper body strength apart from Ring Strength...and you can't get lower body strength apart from Barbell training.

When I was deep in my training it looked like this (in general)

Mon - Gymnastics
Tue - Barbell
Wed - Recovery: Run
Thu - Barbell (Oly)
Fri - Gymnastics
Sat -Recovery: Mobility Work
Sun - Stretch
Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Yes. How you program it in depends largely on your level of fitness and general recovery ability. It is always a compromise of sorts. I've found that the main obstacle for me was fitting everything into a week while trying not to make any big sacrifices. I think I've found the answer which is just switching to ~10-day cycles and spending small chunks of time on skill work at light/no weight at the beginning or end of "off days" (~3 days from a ME session) for a particular movement. For example, I did ME snatch last Thursday, which I technically won't hit again until this Sunday or next Monday. This might be a problem because Snatch is a pretty high skill movement, but I've been experiencing steady progress as long as I include some oly movements in WODs and/or play with the movement on recovery days like I did today. I almost always work on handstand stuff and straddle stuff at the end of workouts also, and play around with it randomly on recovery days. Upper body gymnastics stuff is awesome because you can do most of it almost anywhere, and the nature of the shoulder girdle is such that, unlike the hips, for most things you can get away with very little specific warm-up/prep and sneak in bits of fairly intense training throughout the day.

I also often pair ME gymnastics upper body stuff with barbell stuff in strength workouts. A common example is a ME Back Squat with ME Ring HSPU. Yes, one will detract from the other slightly due to the common midline-stabilizing muscles involved, but I usually just cut the gymnastics sets off before the last 1 or 2 barbell sets and I do fine.

The only thing I'd watch out for is combining anything with high skill and power movements. If you're doing Snatches, Clean and Jerks, or tumbling and flipping, just do that for the session. Your form goes to crap when you're tired on those kinds of things and you just end up rehearsing how to be mediocre.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, I do that gymnastics upper, weights lower
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Nic Michaud

Profile:

I wouldn't say I necessarily do gymnastics, probly would if I learned the stuff, but i do a lot of bodyweight workouts, such as pullups and pushups. To me seeing gymnist athlete's do their thing on bar, ring or whatever the other stuff is called looks like good full range upper body stuff. Also there were threads before boasting gymnastics as being a powerful developer of the upper body (above the waist) with video evidence.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I didn't mean to do it like that, but training naturally progressed into exactly that. But I am constantly experimenting.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Gymnastics movements make pretty good assistance exercises for 5/3/1 I'm finding. Ring dips/pushups are a great for helping with control and stability as a pressing motion and for my pulling motions I've been trying some progressions from these videos (along with strict pullups & rows) which have been pretty helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/user/closetoimpossible (WFS)

I was trying some of the front lever progressions which were essentially like skin the cats, but I'm not sure at 200lbs I'm going to get a front lever any time soon. lol. I guess anyway, anyone know if it's doable over a certain size?

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 01-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Matt, front lever may depend on your height and limbs. It may be easier for someone at 200lbs to do it if they were under 6 foot. John Gill was 6'2 and 180.

I will be seeing about implementing a 531 lift program with my gymnastics pretty soon. I may even be able to Oly lift though I may cut out the bench and overhead press. Not sure yet. Rec gym at Berkeley has weights but limited access to the oly room.

To note, our girls right now are squatting at our gym. I think with our setup, I'd rather have them deadlifting but I do like the idea...except I may have to see about getting around to helping them next time. Another coach does it.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Gymnastics movements make pretty good assistance exercises for 5/3/1 I'm finding. Ring dips/pushups are a great for helping with control and stability as a pressing motion and for my pulling motions I've been trying some progressions from these videos (along with strict pullups & rows) which have been pretty helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/user/closetoimpossible (WFS)

I was trying some of the front lever progressions which were essentially like skin the cats, but I'm not sure at 200lbs I'm going to get a front lever any time soon. lol. I guess anyway, anyone know if it's doable over a certain size?
I am 6' 205, I am close to a decent straddle front lever, I believe it is doable for me, but it will take sometime...