CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Ryan Miller

Profile:
Concept 2 Model B

I have found a Model B with no monitor on my local craigslist for $200.00. I don't have a whole lot of money right now so the price is right! Is this a good purchase or should I wait it out for a deal on a Model C?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Lonnie Johnson

Profile:
Re: Concept 2 Model B

$200 is little high for a model B unless it's in great shape and hasn't been used much. Model B's stopped being made in 93, so it's probably close to 20 years old.

I had the same question a few weeks back and based on previous discussions on this board, it seemed like $100 ballpark or less for a Model B was worthwhile. I found a Model B for $80 a few weeks back on Craigslist, then basically re-built it with new parts from Concept2 for another $120, making it a $200 purchase for me as well. It rows very nicely and is essentially a new rower since the flywheel and monorail are in good shape. It came with a PM1 monitor that works fine. I am very happy I bought it.

Getting a new PM3 is $160 from Concept2 so keep that in mind since it's difficult to track progress without a monitor. Then, if you upgrade/rebuild it like I did as well, that would be pricey for a Model B and you're probably better off finding a used C or D if patience/luck works out for you.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Matt Charney

Profile:
Re: Concept 2 Model B

In Socal you will be lucky to find a Good model B under $200.

I've been pretty lucky. I found a mint model B for $200 on CL. It was previously owned by a retired police officer that kept it covered and did regular maintenance.

I found another B that was listed at $200, she said it was in good condition. When I got there is was a bit rusty, seat was torn, wood was nasty. I gave her $150, then bought the upgrades and cleaned it up. I recently PR'd my 500m on this machine.

I like my model Bs as much as my D. They get the job done and I saved enough for other equipment.

$200 without a monitor is too much. Be patient and persistent and you will find one.

My garage gym is in YL, hit me up and you can come by for a WOD some time. My 5am class did 500m repeats today.