CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Angel Jose

Profile:
295 lbs - started CF & Paleo - Advice please

Hi there -

Well as the title of the thread says, I started Paleo & CrossFit 5/6 days ago.

Apologize in advance for the long intro:

Prior to that, I had very little knowledge of either one. I kinda jumped w/ both feet in because I really wanted a change.

So 5/6 days later, 4 WODs in I'm down to 287. I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but it's still good.

I just want some guidance on what to eat w/ Paleo. I have had very little trouble (aside from figuring out what to eat) in cutting out sugars/grains/etc.

Even w/ my high weight, I consumed very little sugar hence no high-blood sugar, high-blood pressure, etc.

My confusion is the following:

High-fats / lean meat. Some say eat fat, more fat and more fat. No need to bother w/ lean meat. Others say lean meat? Which is it for my main goal at the moment (weight loss)?

Organic/grass-fed/grain-fed, etc. - Do I need to stick to only grass-fed meat? free-range eggs, etc? It is a lot $$$ so I want to figure out what's MOST important.

I think for now those are my initial questions.

All my workouts are currently modified, but at least for me they are killer. Been close to meeting PUKIE. but I am lovin' it!

Thanks for the help
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: 295 lbs - started CF & Paleo - Advice please

If you're going to eat fatty meats, grass-fed animals are probably worth the extra cost. The fatty acid profile for animals eating what nature intended is much healthier than for industrially-raised animals.

If your primary goal is weight loss, you need to pay attention to the number of calories you're eating. It's very difficult to overeat on lean meat and veggies, much easier to overeat with lots of fat.

Katherine
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you're going to eat fatty meats, grass-fed animals are probably worth the extra cost. The fatty acid profile for animals eating what nature intended is much healthier than for industrially-raised animals.

If your primary goal is weight loss, you need to pay attention to the number of calories you're eating. It's very difficult to overeat on lean meat and veggies, much easier to overeat with lots of fat.

Katherine
Not necessarily. Eating fat does not cause one to overeat. While I agree that lean meats and tons of veggies are a great way to go, a ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein) may be pretty successful.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I agree with Rene. At your body weight a very low carb diet is most likely ideal at least until you get to a body weight you are comfortable with. You can then raise your carbs moderately etc.

Actually, the TNT Diet by Men's Health is an excellent plan (you can do CF instead of their exercise recommendations) and one worth your checking into. You can make it Paleo compliant.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Not necessarily. Eating fat does not cause one to overeat. While I agree that lean meats and tons of veggies are a great way to go, a ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein) may be pretty successful.
I did not say that fat "causes" overeating, just that small quantities of fat contain large quantities of calories, and so some awareness is necessary. That's as opposed to veggies, which have so few calories that it's effectively impossible to eat too much of them.

Katherine
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Angel Jose

Profile:

Thanks. I'll look into all the recommendations.

My body is in shock mode w/ exercising and eating different, but it's well worth it. Tomorrow I'll complete a full week of diet/exercise. Really looking forward to my two days off on sat/sun
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Hi Angel,

It looks like you have a great attitude towards cf and healthy eating, so keep this up and the results will come.

I came from a heavier profile as well. I started CF at around 240-250 and most of the weight I lost came off during the first 1-2 years. Since then I have happily maintained my weight at 185 at 5 10.

Since you most likely came from a higher calorie diet, the CF and paleo eating will have you at a deficit. This happened to me where I felt great for 1-2 weeks after changing what I ate until eating low calories caught up and my performance dropped. I wouldn't worry about this because it just means eat more, but it is something worth mentioning.

But other then that, feel free to message me if you have any questions!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Angel, honestly I think you will be successful just by cutting out the grains and sugar. Grains being the huge step for you since you said you didn't eat much sugar anyway. I would encourage you to learn as much as you can about insulin, as blood sugar by itself won't give you the whole picture.

I would have to agree with the 'more fat' folks, mainly because of one reason: HUNGER. If you eat more fat while avoiding grains and sugar you will not be hungry. HUNGER is your enemy, not overeating. Take care of hunger and the rest takes care of itself. Protein foods just aren't going to satisfy like the fats - this makes the psychological part of this fight so much easier.

Last edited by Paul Casimir : 07-30-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
Angel Jose

Profile:

Thanks for all the great advise.

I'm happy to report I'm still working hard and keeping up my eating habits.

I cut out all sugars/grains/90% of salt.

For this week I tried cutting out or really going minimal on fruit, and haven't felt too much of a drain from it.

CF is not getting any easier, but at least I can function normally the rest of the day (unlike after my first WOD when I could hardly move that weekend).

So far I've lost 12 lbs in the first 13 or so days, which from what I've read is pretty normal considering my high weight.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Good work, Angel! A few points that Iīll add to whatīs above:

-Almost everyone will run a caloric deficit on a paleo diet even if half or more of their calories are from fat, so you probably donīt have to worry about the fatty meat for weight loss (though Katherine is correct that fatty farm raised wonīt be as healthy).

-Fish oil supplementation is almost always a good idea if you arenīt already.

-A ketogenic diet (less than 50 g carbs per day) will probably lead to faster weight loss, but donīt feel like you have to do this. Changing your diet too drastically right away may lead you to burn out. So I wouldnīt worry too much about fruit.

-Track your food intake in FitDay or similar. You are essentially doing a big experiment on yourself and for good results in that experiment you need data. In particular, I want you to track calories in fit day to make sure you eat ENOUGH. Pure paleo many people will under eat if they arenīt paying attention, and potentially feel crappy or have their performance suffer.

So, in conclusion, track what you do but donīt sweat the small stuff right now. Good luck and keep up the hard work!