CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Kevin King

Profile:
Hi all,

I am just getting started with CF and am loving it. Well... I love it most of the time. Anyway, I find myself very intimidated by the Oly lifts. I am in Iraq and certainly don't see anyone around here who does the lifts correctly. I am looking for a good resource for learning how to do these correctly. My biggest concern is doing them right so I don't hurt myself. While you're at it, any suggestions on CFitters in the Nashville area for further training and coaching when I get home?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Kevin,
Welcome. I'm moving this to Exercises-you'll find plenty of ideas for learning the o-lifts in that section. If you're in search of other CrossFitters, please post that query to the Community section.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #3
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
Kevin,

where are you at in Iraq?

I'm by no means an expert but I'm always looking for people to suffer, I mean, work out, together.

lots of good stuff on here for figuring out the lifts when you have no access to training. the videos I've found here and on a few weightlifting sites really help.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Hi Kevin,
On the subject of videos: in addition to the ones on the main CrossFit site, here are some more favorites of mine:
http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/gallery.php
http://qwa.org/natrecvideo/CONTENT.ASP

Lincoln Brigham also posted some great vids at the end of this thread:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/21796.html

I haven't gotten any for myself, but perhaps an instructional DVD would help in your situation:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/25026.html

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #5

Profile:

kevin - keep in mind that it's pretty difficult to hurt yourself if you're using an appropriate amount of weight in the lifts. for most people, that means a length of PVC until they have the mechanics and flexibility dialed. so don't rush into. learn the lifts, but don't spaz out and try to lift more than you're ready to lift.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Shawn Casey

Profile:
I descovered crossfit in the same place you did bro. I spent alot of time in the computer room studying Sage's video clips and practicing C&J every time I went to the gym with the lightest bar I could find or broomstick. All of those video's are in the with the rest of the exercise clips I think. I can tell you that my biggest problem starting out was flexability. One thing that helped me was overhead squats. Use the broomstick first. I also did shoulder stretches by putting my arms over my head with my palms pressing against a wall and did shoulder shrugs or using the broomstick in the same fashion. Do these stretches while restraining your chest from flaring forward. I know there is a video on this stretch with the broomstick being taught but I don't know where it is. Maybe someone can help me out and post the link. Just be patient and study as many videos as possible if you can't find a knowledgable partner. I also looked at the video coaching clips on this message board and checked out what the lifter was doing right and wrong and tried to not to do the wrong things.I also think that practicing drills with a pair of dumbells helps. This way you can pactice without busting yourself in the face with a bar. Check out this video http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/db.wmv. I hope this helps. I've been a crossfitter for about six or 7 months and I started out in the big sand box so if you want, email me and I can tell you some of the things I wish I started doing out there that I know now.

bigcase001@hotmail.com

P.S. Practice front squats and get your elbows up.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
Parker Gates

Profile:
Hey Kevin, there are a few of us in Nashville that are trying to do some group workouts. I am keeping an email list of all the folks here so we can get together. If you're interested let me know and I'll add your name. Come home soon and safe man and we'll have some nasty workouts for ya!