CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Jean Masson

Profile:
Diet critique

Alright so my goal is to gain weight (NOT A LOT, I'd be happy if I gained 5-10 lbs, even more so if it was 5-10 lbs of muscles).

So here's how a typical day looks like:
-breakfast: smoothie : 2 cups whole milk, 1 cup frozen berries and about 15 almonds

-lunch: like the WODs, they're constantly varied , but they usually have some protein (meat, fish or eggs (about 1/3 of the plate)) and the rest of the plate is filled with carbs (sometimes veggies and sometimes non-Paleo food like potatoes, rice or bread) cooked with olive oil. I also eat 2 apples and at least 15 almonds.

-post WOD: smoothie: 2 cups skim milk, 20-25g whey protein, 2 bananas

-dinner: same as lunch
Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:
Re: Diet critique

My input (hopefully someone else will comment because I am not an expert by any means )
1. More fat (What's with the measly 15 almonds if you're trying to put on weight?)
2. More protein from meat sources instead of just protein powder and milk
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

We need to know your stats, activity level, and time frame in which you want to gain the 5-10lbs, before critiquing your diet. Despite not knowing this, I agree with Lisa.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Adam Acosta

Profile:

That doesn't look like enough. At least I know I'd lose weight if that's what I was eating. You could be really small, though, but you didn't give any stats.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
We need to know your stats, activity level, and time frame in which you want to gain the 5-10lbs, before critiquing your diet. Despite not knowing this, I agree with Lisa.
I'm 6'2", 174 lbs (which, just so you know, is not super skinny by French standards). Activity level, well I'm a student and Crossfit is my only "sport" at the moment, so moderately active? As for the time frame...well the sooner the better but I guess a couple of months would be ok.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Smalheiser View Post
My input (hopefully someone else will comment because I am not an expert by any means )
1. More fat (What's with the measly 15 almonds if you're trying to put on weight?)
2. More protein from meat sources instead of just protein powder and milk
Thanks, I appreciate any input Would you say I should go for, say, 30 almonds which would be 10 blocks of fat?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
Ed Walto

Profile:

You can also change up your fat intake from just one source. Try alvocados and other types of nuts and seeds.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Masson View Post
Thanks, I appreciate any input Would you say I should go for, say, 30 almonds which would be 10 blocks of fat?
Do you zone? Just eat more protein and fat in general and you should be good to go. I agree with Ed, almonds are boring, branch out.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Do you zone? Just eat more protein and fat in general and you should be good to go. I agree with Ed, almonds are boring, branch out.
I'm still not clear on the zone diet. My understanding is that the zone "as rx'd" is a weight loss diet, but if you add 2x or 3x fat it will make you gain weight, is that correct?

What other choices of nuts and seeds would you recommend? I heard macadamias were bad.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Masson View Post
I'm still not clear on the zone diet. My understanding is that the zone "as rx'd" is a weight loss diet, but if you add 2x or 3x fat it will make you gain weight, is that correct?

What other choices of nuts and seeds would you recommend? I heard macadamias were bad.
a) it IS a weight loss diet. x2 or x3 fat is a change not meant to make you gain weight, but maintain it. if you want to gain weight on the Zone, pick a block prescription of the body you WANT to have.

ex. if you're 6'2", 174, let's assume a normal 16block athlete? If you want to be 200 (which is on the low end of where you should want to be), then you should be eating ~20 blocks.

Honestly, I wouldn't mess around with the Zone right now if i were you...unless you do obsessive compulsive really well. I'd just eat a LOT more. double your meat portions, eat eggs at breakfast. you should be hitting at least 3000 calories a day

b) macadamias are GOOD. all nuts and seeds are good. My personal scale of nuts/seeds from best to worst is as follows: (walnuts, pecans*, macadamias*, [hazelnuts, brazil nuts, almonds], sunflower seeds, flax)

*Full disclosure, i rarely have these in the house. but if i did i'd pick them over almonds