CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-30-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Steven Haase

Profile:  
I did the deadlifts today for the first time and I have a question for the board. I'm 6'4" and have long shins. This makes it difficult to get the bar around my knees without leaning too far forward. Any suggestions?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Depends on how you want to do your deads. You can either do them straight legged, which I would recommnd, or you can squat down a bit more. Though I am a short little bastard (5'9/10") and probably am not the best one to offer advice.

There was an interesting thread about this earlier.

Do a seach for 'Linda banned!' and for deadlifts.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

This sounds like it could be a flexibility issue. I would suggest improving your flexibility through overhead squats and romanian deadlifts, and then try to do a normal deadlift again. With romanian deadlifts you start at the top of the deadlift with the bar in your hands, and go down by sticking your butt out as far as possible, jutting your chin as far forward as possible, and maintaining a strong lower back position. This will make your hamstrings more flexible.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

If you have long thighs and a short torso, proportionally, you're going to have to lean forward a bit to get past the knees (think about it). If you're tall, it is going to take extra flexibility to get into position, but that's another issue.

If you open up your stance wide and do sumo deadlifts, long thighs aren't such a problem. But then that's a different exercise. Trap bar deadlifts are a good exercise too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a substitution based on individual proportions. For the long legged, it might make sense to shift more efforts into front squats, less into back squats, more into trap bar or sumo deadlifts, less into regular deadlifts.

The truth is some exercises fit your body better than others. Sometimes it's something you can correct like say, tight hamstrings or bad form; sometimes it's structural and you're better off making a substitution.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
John Velandra

Profile:
One of the easiest dead positions to use when starting out is the sumo DL.

Simply stand with the bar close to you and your feet slightly further than shoulder width - toes pointed out at 45` but that will vary based on muscle inbalances - and squat down to grasp the bar (right where the knurling starts).

Then simply execute the movement in the same manner as a conventional DL.

In this position, you'll also recruit more muscles (and quickly find any weaknesses as well) for the lift. While you'll START lighter in the lift as you get used to it. You'll find you can pull MORE with it!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
This makes it difficult to get the bar around my knees without leaning too far forward. Any suggestions?

Don't move the bar around the knees. Move the knees out of the way of the bar.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

The deadlift is one of the few lifts I feel qualified enough to offer some advice on. The better option though is to refer you to an article by Dave Tate. As you are taller ignore his advice to the shorter lifters and start with that bar right against your shins. One of his tips; don't do multiple reps, should be ignored. That advice is strictly for powerlifters.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

Enjoy
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Paul Symes

Profile:
I've given up trying to do deadlifts, they feel wrong, they always have and I've injured myself twice trying to learn them. I'm 6'3" by the way.

For some reason I can back squat quite well but can front squat more comfortably. Also agree about trap-bar DLs being a good sub.

I say if you haven't got flexibility issues or imbalances and it still doesn't feel good don't do it.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Odd, I'm 6'3" and find DL to be my strongest lift. I feel I have great leverage in this lift. Do you perform other pulling lifts like clean and snatch? Maybe it is an issue of hamstring strength or flexibility. Pull Throughs are a great assistance exercise for deads.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I'm in the same boat as you, Nick.

I'm 6'4", and deadlift is easily my best lift. I'm a freaking beanpole (170#), and I've logged a 355# deadlift. My other pulling exercises are pretty strong as well (my snatch and clean are restricted by my pathetic squatting).

I am prone to tweaking my back on max deadlift though. Haven't gone really heavy on it in a while though. I do take on Linda fairly often though, albeit at a reduced weight (180# on DL), so high reps on lower weight hasn't been an issue.