CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Carlos Armas

Profile:
Just started Zone'n - Thoughts so far + Seeking advice

Hey Everyone,

I have been Crossfitting for a little over 6 months and been doing about 85% Paleo for the last 3 months + frequent cheat meals (especially during travel). I recently signed up for the CF Games Sectionals so I am looking to take my training/nutrition to the next level! I am 6 feet tall and currently weigh about 194lbs at around 13% BodyFat. I started doing Zone yesterday with my own rendition of Paleo (+ Oatmeal/some Dairy). I am consuming 19 blocks a day. After my first day, my initial observation was how much damn carbs I got to consume! After doing Paleo for the last couple of months and restricting my grains, I now find it hard to consume 19 blocks of good carbs a day. I also find it to be such a pain in the *** to count/measure the blocks throughout the day (Paleo so much easier). I have been reading up on some of Robb Wolf's articles (including 42 Ways to Skin the Zone) and decided to cut off 4 blocks of carbs and replace it with 12 fat blocks. Therefore, my current block allocation is 19P/15C/31F. I am also trying to have about half the days worth of carbs post WOD (as suggested by Robb Wolf).

To be blunt, what I want out of my diet is to have the maximum amount of energy/strength for ultimate athletic performance. I want to get down to single digit bodyfat, gain strength, and just turn into a FREAK. I will be training hard 5-6 days a week with active rest (running) on rest days. Some days I will be doing two-a-days with strength/met-con training at different times. As I get closer to the March 27 Sectionals, I will obviously continue stepping up the intensity and frequency of training.

I would be interested to hear any suggestions/tips/advice/comments that any of you may have. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Just started Zone'n - Thoughts so far + Seeking advice

Everybody is different - keep tinkering and stop cheating. Eat good food and keep hitting WOD's. Rest on rest days...don't run.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I want to get down to single digit bodyfat, gain strength, and just turn into a FREAK"

other than the body fat, those are goals, those are ideas. Goals have numbers.

And what does low BF have to do with performance?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Daniel Lyell

Profile:

If you haven't already, listen to Robb's podcasts. An ENORMOUS amount of info there. More than you can find in any other single location. Also, I'm a little curious about what the question is. You just started the diet so until you see how your body reacts its difficult to offer advice. Listen to your body...and try and go thirty days without cheating. Its not that long.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Carlos Armas

Profile:

I didn't imply that low body fat has any correlation to seeking optimum performance. I guess you could look at both of these as two independent goals that I plan on reaching.

I have strength gain measurables as far as where I am now and where I want to be, I just didn't figure listing all of my lifts/metcon goals would be so relevant to get some simple feedback/tips on my dieting. Perhaps that was an oversight on my part, I would be happy to give a list of all my performance statistics - where I am now and where I want to be...

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

As you get closer to sectionals, you want to decrease your training so you are rested for the event. No point in working out more, only to show up and be dead.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Slightly adjusted base Zone without any extra fat to fuel your workload, 5-6 training days per week, some of which will be two-a-days, and additional running on "rest" days...yep, sounds like a prescription for minimal sustainable progress, if not overtraining and injury.

Single digit bodyfat probably won't help your strength or your metcon for that matter--the consensus seems to be that 10-12% is about as low as you can go without harming performance. Look at Khalipa and most other elite CFers--they've got plenty of muscle mass and strength but they don't look like a Men's Fitness cover model because they train for performance, not aesthetics.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Slightly adjusted base Zone without any extra fat to fuel your workload, 5-6 training days per week, some of which will be two-a-days, and additional running on "rest" days...yep, sounds like a prescription for minimal sustainable progress, if not overtraining and injury.
+1

IMO, cutting body fat should be the last thing you worry about. With this kind of load, you'll need to eat a ton just to maintain.

If you're fit enough to make a respectable showing at Sectionals, you'll look fine.

Katherine
Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Armas View Post
I didn't imply that low body fat has any correlation to seeking optimum performance. I guess you could look at both of these as two independent goals that I plan on reaching.
They aren't independent. They actively conflict with each other.

Katherine
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Carlos Armas

Profile:

Thanks for the input everyone...