CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I have found the Gravitron is great for training your planche. For the longest time I was unable to move from frog-stand to tuck planche according to Coach Sommer's progression. This helped me break that barrier and make further progress.

To be clear, the machine I am describing is an assisted pullup/dip machine with a platform for your knees which is counterweighted and moves up and down. What I did was kneel on the platform facing backwards, away from the machine, using about 40 pounds of assistance. When I was kneeling, the platform moved all the way down near the ground. I put my hands on the two steps that were attached to the machine, and the 40 pounds of assistance was enough that I was now able to hold the tuck planche position with ease. I did sets of pushups in this position, and also in the advanced tuck planche position, and reduced the assistance weight as well.

That was two weeks ago, and with practice I am now able to hold the advanced tuck planche for a second or two, and the tuck planche is even easier. Using the gravitron machine for assistance with planche holds has really helped my ability with this progression.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Cool -- my gym has one of these, and I've been having a heck of time getting passed the Frog Stand myself (although I'm probably not spending enough time practicing either...)

Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Theron Mathis

Profile:
I've wondered if that machine would help with muscle ups. You could not kip but you would have support.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
Doing planche progressions on the gravitron has got to elicit some "doesn't that guy know how to do assisted pullups?" looks.