CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Raphael Burnes

Profile:
This is a question particularly for Roger or Coach Sommer, though anyone with experience in it I would be more than appreciative to hear from you.

I'm having difficulty with my press handstand through a full range of motion. I have no problem doing standing straight arm straddle press handstands, nor do I have a problem with standing straight arm pike press handstands.

I do, however run into difficulty with any of the L-sit presses/ or straddled L-sit presses.
I just start pressing and just a bit before I reach the standing press position I just can't lift my butt anymore.

I used to be able to do 5 or 10 L-sit presses 5 or 6 months ago, but I lost it, and can now only occasionally do one, with pretty shoddy form.

What would you folks reccomend as the best method for training these? Should I do negatives? Stalder rolls trying to press to handstand? Presses from a straddled split on the floor? (these I can do without problem for some reason)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Raphael
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I'm in the same boat, only I never used to be able to do it either. I think something Roger said last week rang true for me: my traps don't activate when they should during the press. I can use my shoulders to lift myself to the tuck planche position, but I stop right there everytime. I notice the same problem with my shoulder press that we did this week. I'd love to work past it, and get the groove going, just not sure how.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I'm trying to get this trick as well. I'm having some success with negatives and trying them on P'lettes.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Whenever you do your presses always lower back to L or straddle L. Do it in a controlled manner and try to compress your pike/straddle pike as much as possble so from the handstands your legs lower down while you hips stay as high as possible, then once your legs are parallel with your body, then lower down the to L/straddle L.

As far as the press, really focus on lifting your toes up in front of you to maximize the compression in your pike/straddle pike. This makes an enormous difference in the strength required to make the skill.

You are getting stuck at the tough part of the press. This is normal. Keep working it. Ensure your technique remains good and you'll get it. Once you get it solid you'll flow right through.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
http://www.dragondoor.com/images/articles/1B-Nick.jpg
AMAZING compression right there. (At least to me.)
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
First to obtain that you need to have an excellent pike, and pancake.

Couple conditioning drills that will help with the compression you need to acheive a nice high straddle L like that.

Sit on the floor in a straddle. Place your hands on the floor about 1' in front of you. Lift your toes as high as you can, rinse repeat. Warning, your hip flexors will likely cramp when you first start working this.

For the pike sit on the floor in a pike. Place your hands on the floor so your fingers are near your heels, lift your toes as high as you can, rinse repeat. Your goal is to touch your knees to your chin on each rep.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
Raphael Burnes

Profile:
Thanks a lot, Roger.
I'll throw these into my regular conditioning and see how that works out. My russian circus coach said if I could do 20 negative stalders in 2 minutes, I'd have no problem doing them from the ground up.
Thanks again,
Raphael