CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Kyle Conway

Profile:
Just started looking for some advice

This is my second week of Cross Fit, and I love it so far. I am 26 years old, 6' tall, 191lbs, fairly weak. I have a belly and love handles. I was wandering if anyone can recommend a good diet to go on that is easy to stay on. It is tuff to stay on the diet I have 2 little girls and a wife, and the sweets that they love. I am just tired of having a belly, and lower energy. I would like to build my strength and energy for of my girls and me they are getting big, and it is harder to put them in their bunk bed. I love this program so far i have been doing a lot of reading on this site. O and i never realy worked out before so i am fairly new to weight lifting. Any advice let me know. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Andrew Durham

Profile:
Re: Just started looking for some advice

Kyle, it's very easy to stay on a diet. You just need to have the discipline to do it. I somewhat follow the Zone (CFJ Issue 21) diet. I'm 6' and started off at 202 back in January. I have been keeping up pretty with the WODs and am down to 183 now. I have put on quite a bit of muscle and have been tracking my strength gains. I posted this in the testimonials WFS. Just follow the WODs and try to stick with the recommended diet and you'll loose the belly and get a lot stronger. I hope you enjoy your new life with CF.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

For me, Paleo and Zone in particular seem a bit involved.
I just follow the mantra from the Level 1 cert.
In order...

Meat and Veggies
Nuts and seeds
Some fruit
Little starch
No sugar

Once I took this to heart, I dropped 5 lbs in about a month. (I was in decent shape, just trying to lose a bit).
This is easy to follow, and while I'm no nutritionist, if you follow that and CF, I imagine you'll see dramatic results.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

Pertaining to the never really worked out thing I have a couple suggestions.
First off, make sure that when you start, you start with the BrandX scaled versions, probably puppy. that way you dont injure yourself, which brings me to my next point. Find someone to teach you the lifts. If there is a crossfit affiliate in Redding, or perhaps make a weekend trip to one in Sacremento, make sure you have someone teach you the proper way to do the lifts. You can also video yourself and then post them on the site here, and get good pointers there as well. Here is a link to a post that has numerous bodyweight only routines that may help you build a base strength before jumping into the weighted lifts.
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21576 (WFS)

All in all, make some goals, start doing something cause it is always better than nothing, and just keep going even when it gets hard, thats the best part.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Bo Schmidt

Profile:

Since you've never worked with weights before, you'll be in the novice category. This means that your strength will increase fast with the correct training. To take advantage of this, my advice would be to do Starting Strength (read the book) until you stall. This will allow you to learn the movements and prepare your body for the rigors of CF as RX'ed.
I find this to be a good way to start because when you begin CF again you won't have to scale the daily WODs. And, having more strength will inevitably give you more power and thus a higher work capacity.

Summary: IMHO: Build a strength base, then focus on CF.

As per diet... Everything is gradual. Maybe introduce this new lifestyle to your wife and hear what she has to say about it. Does she approve of trying to change your diet and live healthy? Does she maybe want to start CF? It's addictive, and in order to get better faster you will have to eat correctly, which could force a diet change. You can read up on The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain and buy these two cookbooks - their recipes are excellent, I can highly recommend it: http://www.paleocookbook.com/ WFS

Good luck.

Last edited by Bo Schmidt : 07-15-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Corey Bibolet

Profile:

Kyle, everyone here has great advice.

1. I eat Zone-like. I don't exactly measure my food, but I am conscious of what I eat and when I eat it. Diet makes a big difference in performance once you get advanced levels of CF. For now it will help with loosing fat and gaining muscle.

2. Do Starting Strength. One of the best books ever written.

3. See a coach about the lifts. My squats were horrible one year into CF before I saw a coach to clean it up.

4. Start the WODs with the BrandX Scaled Workouts. It is on the main site under Start Here!

5. Motivation is in the progress. Lots of us don't go to an affiliate and work out at our local Globo and everyone thinks we are crazy. Then you can look at someone then at yourself and see that your short "crazy" workouts have better results than their long non-scientifically researched routines do.

Crossfit WORKS!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Welcome. Dumping the belly and love handles will be all about diet.

If you are enjoyng CF, you will stick with it, no need to jump around between programs.

For your lifts and other technique stuff visit CrossFit Redding (wfs) I have heard good things about them and they can button down your form.

Enjoy
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Don Roxby

Profile:

I'm basically in the same boat as you. I've been doing Crossfit for about 2 weeks and doing a Paleo-like diet for about 3 weeks now. I just went cold turkey on sugar, breads and potatoes and I lost weight so fast it was scary. I suspect much of it was water weight but who cares. I felt so much better after a week without all of the carbs that I will never go back. I used the sites below as guides:

http://www.paleodiet.com/ (Family Safe)
http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm (Family Safe)

I don't weigh my food but basically eat tons of veggies, meats and nuts every day with limited fruit and soem cheese. I noticed that most of my cravings went away a few days after stopping all the carbs, and I seem to eat less in general now. Probably because of my blood sugar being under control for then first time in years.

Good luck!

Last edited by Don Roxby : 07-15-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling