CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Alex McClung

Profile:
After completing Friday's front squat WOD (02/04/05) I realized that my 1rm and my 10rm for front squat is about half of my 1rm and 10rm for back squat. Is this typical for others, or is this yet another area of weakness I need to develop ?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think the frontsquat is generally around 75% of your backsquat.

Last time I checked I could front squat 140*8 and backsquat 230*1.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Without looking up my numbers, I can tell you that my front squat is significantly lower than my back squat. I don't feel as though leg strength is my limiting factor though, it's more a matter of getting the "rack" squared away on my FS. It's still pretty painful as I begin to really ramp up the weight, and I know that's a function of how I'm holding the bar. It's getting better though.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
My best *** to grass back squat is two wheels (225 - last night -YEAH!). I haven't front squatted very high, but I've squat cleaned 185 for a double pretty easily. Best guess is 195-205.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

My experience are that my numbers are similar to Ross's although I'm new to the squat game and have only done a couple of workouts. 4/5 or so seems to be a reasonable back to front squat ratio if they are to the same depth. I bet some body types have different ratios. I am tall so I like front squats because my torso stays more upright, which feels a bit safer for my back.
Matt
Old 02-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Matt Schwartz may have just explained something that's been puzzling me -- my front squat and back squat are the same. I wonder if it's from being tall (6'2" and long-waisted).

In fact, at any given weight I feel a lot more comfortable in the front squat. I wonder if it might also be psychological -- that is, the sensation that I'm about to be crushed flat under the bar, versus knowing that I could just dump it forward.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
Alex McClung

Profile:
John, et.al.
Thanks for the insights. There seem to be as many answers as people !

I am 6'0" and medium-waisted, so maybe there is a mechanical function that accounts for the variance. Like Matt, my front squat seems to be limited by how deep I rack the weight, and how high I can crank my elbows. The integrity of the racking really makes a difference in the multi-rep series.