CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Stas Gorbis

Profile:
Working On My Goals. Need Some Advice.

I have been doing CF(scaled) for about a week now and I am really enjoying it.
I am at 188# and 6'0 which I am totally satisfied with. I don't really care about the weight as much as the BF%. Last time I checked it was 14%. I would like to lower that to around 10-12% and also put on some lean muscle.
The muscle that I want is purely for looks and I don't need any comments saying that I should do bodybuilding because I want my muscles to be useful unlike what they have been for years. I am not trying to look huge and bulky. Just want some definition and the athletic look. I know that diet will be an important aspect to this.

I am hoping that if you have some great advice or have able to achieve this yourself, then please give me some advice on things to and not to do.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Working On My Goals. Need Some Advice.

These three things will take care of your goals: Paleo. CrossFit. Rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas Gorbis View Post
The muscle that I want is purely for looks and I don't need any comments saying that I should do bodybuilding because I want my muscles to be useful unlike what they have been for years.
This doesn't make any sense.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Welcome to cf. But please take some time to read the threads, search, read the FAQ, etc. That is a crazy general question which the answer to is basically discussed all day every day here.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Welcome to cf. But please take some time to read the threads, search, read the FAQ, etc. That is a crazy general question which the answer to is basically discussed all day every day here.
I know what you mean about how general the question is. I just keep getting more and more confused because of all of the reading that I do. Since I am just starting CF, I was wondering if I should just do CFSB or CFFB instead so that I can keep size. I want to keep some of that "useless" muscle even if it does hurt my times a little. I also want the endurance and lean benefits that CF has to offer so that is why choosing is difficult for me. I know that it has a lot to do with the dieting and I will have to just read more on that or maybe head to the testimonials section.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Form follows function. Go look at the pictures of Crossfit Games competitors and qualifiers. That's what "elite" Crossfitters look like, and that's how you can expect to look once you have reasonable performance on Crossfit workouts.

Katherine
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Sean Smith

Profile:

Your nutrition is more important than your exercise in this case. You want to lean out and do Crossfit at the same time. This will produce muscle definition. Starting Zoning. Really "Zone" and don't do it half way. Easy answer. Doing it and staying strict to the Zone is the difficult part. It's all in the mindset you have. How bad do you want muscle definition?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Just stick with CF for at least a month. Losing the 4% bf is going to be 90 percent diet. So worry about that instead.

Don't wanna burst your bubble, but at 6 foot 188, your not heavily muscled enough to be really worrying about losing muscle due to cf. Eat right, you'll probably gain some. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Just stick with CF for at least a month. Losing the 4% bf is going to be 90 percent diet. So worry about that instead.

Don't wanna burst your bubble, but at 6 foot 188, your not heavily muscled enough to be really worrying about losing muscle due to cf. Eat right, you'll probably gain some. Good luck.
Yeah not being offended. That is why I want something different from my workouts. I know that I am not that big right now, its just that I don't want to lose it either. I know that if I eat right, then I will get gains instead.

I think that I just need to let some time by and see results because there is nothing that can be evaluated after a week.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Right, I think you'll be happy with the results. If not, it's easy enough at your age to switch up to cfsb or ss and put on some poundage. You're good size and young, if you want size it will come, you have years for that, if you're worried.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Ben Prather

Profile:

Is it just me or do some comments seem smug on this discussion board? Just because we do crossfit doesn't mean we have to scoff at someone who cares ALSO about their appearance!

The zone seems difficult at first but search for the zone spreadsheet and you will find a much easier way to plan and check your diet until you get it down.

congrats on starting, crossfit is a great way to achieve the goals you have set for yourself. The many transformation pics are proof of this.

don't be afraid to say that you want to look great on the beach! Take a look at the many pictures that pop up here on a daily basis, do you think it's much of a coincidence that the "elite" athletes with great abs ALWAYS have their shirts off? C'mon people! Cut this guy some slack!