CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
William Reese

Profile:
Is the A.C.E Cert worth it?

The reason I posted here is because I might as well ask the people who are out there doing the instructing. You all know best.

I'm in the Military and have been trying to get my command to pay for my Level 1 Crossfit Cert to get me started. It's a process. But I think I can get it paid for if I continue to push.

Until then, My question is..... while I'm waiting to see if I can somehow take advantage of the military benefits of a large budget.... Would it be worth my time and money getting A.C.E or a certificate equivalent of, to piggy back my Level 1 Cert and get me started?

I appreciate any suggestions.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Bethany Wadsworth

Profile:
Re: Is the A.C.E Cert worth it?

I found that my ACSM certification made getting insurance a bit easier.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I have my cert through the ISSA and would personally recommend it. ISSA is now accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council which is a division of the US department of education. No other personal training organization has this level of accreditation. And they accept Crossfit certs as CEUs.

http://www.ISSAonline.edu (wfs)
Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
David Long

Profile:

I looked at ACE, but went with NSCA
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:

No. Not worthwhile.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

For insurance purposes ACSM, NSCA, and NASM are the only worthwhile ones. ACE is considered the home schooling of certs
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Matthew Govea

Profile:

Sara, have you gotten CEU credit for CrossFit certs already for ISSA? If so, did you have to get special approval for it? I didn't see CrossFit listed, but maybe I missed it. Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Zack Murphy

Profile:

I have ACE, ISSA, NCSF, NASM, and some others, and a CrossFit cert. Just went through the Level II. ACE is certainly not the top cert in reputation or resume-building, but it is the ONLY one I've taken that focused substantially on special (ill, old, injured) populations. At a CrossFit, your quantity of those is certainly lower than at a Globo, but it's worthwhile if you actually intend to train the general public.

If you just intend to do CrossFit and maybe train some group classes, its value goes down.

If you want to build a clientele of 1:1 clients, it's fine.

One of my complaints about all the other certs I've done is the lack of attention paid to less-than-healthy populations. Frankly, most clients would fall into that category.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #9
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Govea View Post
Sara, have you gotten CEU credit for CrossFit certs already for ISSA? If so, did you have to get special approval for it? I didn't see CrossFit listed, but maybe I missed it. Thanks
Its come up on the boards before, just ask Patrick Gamboa (Education Director, question board administrator) how many credits the actual certification is that you are going to, but it is on their list of approved providers. I actually talked to Nicole Carole about it on ISSA's behalf to clarify that we had a single address and contact person for their records. The credits are based on the number of hours of instruction, whether or not there is a curriculum (textbook, etc.), and whether or not there is an exam.

I train at a Crossfit affiliate, but I'm hoping to attend a Crossfit cert this Spring/Summer. However, I need to find one in my vicinity (three kids under the age of six, not a lot of spare travel time).

Last edited by Sara Fleming : 03-17-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Matthew Govea

Profile:

Thanks for the help Sara!