CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
John Schroeder

Profile:
Progress check on new years resolutions

I had a number of new years resolutions this year. Seems like a good time to check progress, proclaim successes, and analyze failures.

1) Strict Zone diet. This has been a real winner. At Christmas I was about 240. After 30 days of weighed and measured Zone diet my weight is about 228. AND I HAVE A SIX PACK! Had a doctors appointment last week (the shoulder guy - needed some cortisone to put off surgery in my "unrepaired" shoulder). My doc ran into my wife in surgery (she is an operating room nurse in the same hospital). He commented on her crazy husband. Seems the doctor thinks 52 year old guys should not have a six pack! Suggested I will pay for it sooner rather than later, and that whatever I was doing was probably going to be good for his business. Then asked her what I have been eating. Answer: Zone for the past 30 days. I hope she did not mention the Xfit part of the equation. The doctor REALLY does not approve of that, except that he thinks its good for his business.

2) Obtain 15 dead hang pullups. This has been a bit tougher. However, got em today! I had been stuck at 12 for close to two months. Tried everything I could think of to get unstuck. What finally appeared to work was losing 12 pounds, that and 3x5 sets of weighted pullups 3 times a week. Had been on ReconRon but just could not get unstuck. Now its time to go for the big one, The Muscle Up! No, I don't do kipping pullups. Partly because of the sudden load stress on my repaired shoulder, but mostly because at 6"6" I can't find a place to do PUs without my knees bent at close to 45 to avoid bottoming out. There may be a new pullup bar in the near future, so there may be more kipping PU in my future.

3) Get prepped for handstand pushups. Been practising serveral days per week. Still can't do one HSPU, but I am starting to feel pretty comfortable upsidedown against the wall. Just started with negatives. A real HSPU is closer now but still a ways off.

4) Get prepped for muscle ups. See number 2) above. Bought my rings and have been working ring dips. Those were a very rude surprise first time. Could do lots of dips, but no ring dips. Seems to be a pretty big skill element here. Am now up to six before things get too unstable. Will continue working these!

5) Don't miss any metcons. Did it! Do them as Rx'd. Did not do that! The Hero's are still well out of reach. Just did Kelly as Rx'd (treadmill). Took 43:00. Puts me in the running for the dead chicken award (polite way of saying DFL or Dead F****** Last). However, there is success here too. I used to finish box jumps and wall ball shots with a whimper. Now I can "sprint" the last four or five. Small victory. But it feels good!

6) No more subbing rowing for running. I can do the POSE run! My beat up hips and knees can handle this, particularily for the relatively short distances in most of the WODs. This has been another very big win! Next, get my pace up to 10 mph on the treadmill, then take it outside when the weather clears.

7) Get my CFT up to 800. This is going to take a while. Its only 740 now. No progress to report, but I think my method is sound. Will see if there is anything to report at 60 days into the new year.

There! Just had to get that off my chest. January has been good. Now, for February...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Progress check on new years resolutions

Wow, that's great man. Congrats. Looks like you had a hard charging January, make sure to take those slow weeks too! Way to go.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Michael Whities

Profile:

John, congrats! Those are some outstanding accomplishments. Keep it up!

This may seem like a weird request but, can you post some pictures of yourself now? I just want to use it to compare it to myself and a goal for myself. I'm 6' 6" and 300lbs and my 'ideal' weight is 215 - 235 (so says the Internet). I'd just like to see what I might look like at that weight.

Weird, I know, my family is getting used to it.

Michael
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
John Schroeder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whities View Post
John, congrats! Those are some outstanding accomplishments. Keep it up!

This may seem like a weird request but, can you post some pictures of yourself now? I just want to use it to compare it to myself and a goal for myself. I'm 6' 6" and 300lbs and my 'ideal' weight is 215 - 235 (so says the Internet). I'd just like to see what I might look like at that weight.

Weird, I know, my family is getting used to it.

Michael
I don't have any. I will run this by the wife. She is the camera person in the household. I suspect a cool reception.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schroeder View Post
I don't have any. I will run this by the wife. She is the camera person in the household. I suspect a cool reception.
Very cool. I know it's weird sounding, it's just hard for me to find people my height that's skinny. At least in Mississippi...you know, the fattest state in the country. :\

Michael
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
John Schroeder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Wow, that's great man. Congrats. Looks like you had a hard charging January, make sure to take those slow weeks too! Way to go.
I think the time has come for just that. Our Xfit class did muscle ups today -working the progessions and the subs. I was planning a rest day. Just planned to work on double unders and handstands because I was feeling beat up and exhausted. However, when the rings came out I could not resist.

I GOT THE MUSCLE UP!!!

Got home tonight and iced the angry shoulder and contemplated my training log. Seems I might be a bit overdue for a few days rest. Will try to do nothing at all for the next couple of days, then slowly ramp it up again next week. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Reached already in 09:
30 kipping pull-ups - finally. This has been a big one.
Do more than 20 pull-ups each set in 3 sets - done.
Complete 30 Muscle Ups for time. Done
Backhand spring - off a tumble track - done.
Use 315 lbs in a metcon for deadlift.
Sub 4 Fran

To go:
500 dl
3 consecutive deadhang muscle ups
Back tuck and backhandspring on regular floor
sub 3 Fran
300 lbs Jerk
Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
John Schroeder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whities View Post
Very cool. I know it's weird sounding, it's just hard for me to find people my height that's skinny. At least in Mississippi...you know, the fattest state in the country. :\

Michael
Ok, got some pictures. I still am not sure the best way to upload.

How do people include pictures in the message text instead of as attachments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0129.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	3451  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0126.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	3452  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Great work John! I like that you've set so many concrete, but obtainable goals. Keep it up.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Razvan Mircea

Profile:

Good stuff dude!!! Keep it up.