CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Charles F. Haynes

Profile:
Building my chinup/dip/squat/bench press outdoor gym today.

Today I start building my gym. I will have 2 6x6 post secured together for each main post. They will have a 1" pipe 8.5 feet off the ground. Then for the bench press and squat heights I will have 5/8x8" lag bolts to hold the bars. I will put them 6.5 inches in. Then I have 1" pipe that will come off of the main post then 3 other 4x4 post hold the other ends. Tell me yalls thoughts and I will show pictures later.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Ryan Stitt

Profile:
Re: Building my chinup/dip/squat/bench press outdoor gym today.

You might think about running your lag bolts throughshort sections of conduit to provice a nicer area for the bars to rack on. You can even put some radiator hose over the conduit so that the contact point of the bar is on rubber.

Also, it sounds like you are putting two 6x6s together. I would presume that a 6x6 by itself would be enough to support a kipping pull up even by a bigger guy. Basically, when the 6x6s are in the ground, you will want 8' for your pull up bar, but what about a future ring station? You'l want the rings mounted even higher. I am guessing you are putting the 6x6 posts about 4' apart center o center. I would double check clearance for a standard barbell to make sure it goes in easily and you aren't crowding your hands. My thought is that you could likely get by with a 4x6, but I am not certain.

Hope that is helpful. Its a great idea to integrate your bench/squat rack into your pull up bar though. I drew up a design like that for my brother's basement using steel pipe and fittings. He hasn't built it yet though.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Charles F. Haynes

Profile:
Re: Building my chinup/dip/squat/bench press outdoor gym today.

I just finished my pull up and dip bar station. I have to say I did a pretty nice job. I am putting the squat and bench rack on hold right now bc I dont have the inside length of a barbell to know how far apart the post should be. I have an idea, but I dont want to mess up. I will post the pictures later on.