CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Alberto Velazquez

Profile:
mebb nutrition

Hi all, I'm starting MEBB tomorrow and I wanted to know what kind of nutrition it necessitates. I am currently 5'10, 143 lbs last time I weighed myself, approximately 12 % bf. I have been eating about 13 blocks a day, with a block or two of extra protein. I haven't modified the zone ratios much since I've been seeing consistent performance gains with simultaneous fat loss. I am pretty consistent with it, although recently I've been having a small bowl of ice cream before bed without any negative side effects. I also try to stick to paleo, but stray from that a bit by eating a few types of legumes (black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas) with my salads and occasionally steel cut oats with my breakfast.

My concern is with how much extra food, and from which macronutrient sources, should I be eating a day to sustain performance gains and ensure proper recovery from the added strength focus. I'm not concerned with gaining tons of muscle, just want a moderate strength increase.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: mebb nutrition

Questions:
What are your lifting numbers?

What constitutes a "moderate" strength increase"?

No offense, but at 5'10" 143 lbs. I'd question just how deep your tank runs and how well your levers are working.

Coach Rut has Natural Hormonal Enhancment listed on his site as a nutrition resource. The zone is also presented as a viable option from what I've seen.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Alberto Velazquez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Questions:
What are your lifting numbers?

What constitutes a "moderate" strength increase"?

No offense, but at 5'10" 143 lbs. I'd question just how deep your tank runs and how well your levers are working.

Coach Rut has Natural Hormonal Enhancment listed on his site as a nutrition resource. The zone is also presented as a viable option from what I've seen.
The results from the CFT the other day.

Squat: 216 (PR)
Press: 95 (PR)
Deadlift: 240 (PR)

I'm starting over and trying to relearn the Olympic lifts with good form unweighted before moving on with them.

I know they aren't high by any means, but they have been consistently going up. I was really really out of shape when I first started.

As for strength increases, ideally I'd like to eventually get strong enough to do the wods as rx'd, but that is a long term goal. I'm not sure what my immediate goal should be, I just want to make strength gains faster and consistently while still getting to do the regular CF wods.

edit: I should add that I really am not sure what constitutes normal progress, I have been doing crossfit on my own since I started so I'm not sure how well/poorly my progress has been going. I just know that I've gotten much stronger and faster since I started. I don't remember my original numbers on those lifts, but I do remember that a 95lb deadlift was pretty straining. yikes.

Anyways, I've been keeping a wod log recently in my signature, if my numbers look bad, I'd really appreciate some experienced crossfitters advice. I'd really like to know if you think my diet is the problem, if you think there is one. It'd behoove me to mention that I was once really overweight, so my current weight is actually a recent occurrence resulting from years of weight loss.

Last edited by Alberto Velazquez : 10-27-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I know that nobody's going to see this coming, but... Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Buy the book, read the book, do the program, if you can tolerate it drink the milk. Otherwise, eat like a horse. Trust me, you'll be very thankful you did it rather than spinning your wheels.

I'm not sure how long you've been CF'ing, but you'll learn the book and the name well in time. Best beginners strength training book out there.

If you want to get strong enough to do all the WOD's rx'd, then you're going to need to get much, much stronger. SS is the fastest and best way to do it.

I'd suggest MEBB for someone who's not a rank novice (which you are, and which is a GREAT thing, your progress can be amazing with a proper novice routine.) ME lifting can be rough on a CNS that's untrained, as well as the increased caloric expenditure from the metcon (which does a fine job of taxing the CNS as well).

Good luck, come back with any questions.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
I know that nobody's going to see this coming, but... Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Trust me, you'll be very thankful you did it rather than spinning your wheels.
agreed.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

If you enjoy CF WODs, do MEBB.

If you enjoy weighing/measuring, modify the zone (more blocks, double fat, etc). If not, go wide-eyed paleo + GOMAD.

I'd vote that you're a good candidate for SS+GOMAD myself, but it comes down to what you enjoy doing.

You're in a great position - you're not weak, not fat, and not old. You can do anything you want right now, stick with it, and make gains. Those are great CFT #'s for a relative noob at light weight, and they'll be a great base for whatever you choose to do.

I do think SS will get you strong *much* faster than even MEBB, FWIW.

Also, make some goals. A 135 press, 315 squat, and 365 DL look appropriate. Attaining them won't necessarily mean you need to change your programming at that point, but having them hanging out there will make you hungry.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Alberto Velazquez

Profile:

I'm starting the program on Monday, the book is in the mail. I also convinced my roommate to do the program with me so we'll both have some extra motivation.

Quote:
Trust me, you'll be very thankful you did it rather than spinning your wheels.
I think this was the kick in the *** I needed. I just came to accept that I was not wanting to do it because of the fat gain that will most likely accompany it, and that was just vanity. I figure I'll stick with SS + gomad until at least the end of the year and then decide whether or not to continue or to go on to a hybrid like MEBB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Also, make some goals. A 135 press, 315 squat, and 365 DL look appropriate. Attaining them won't necessarily mean you need to change your programming at that point, but having them hanging out there will make you hungry.
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure what my specific goals should be other than "get stronger" so I think these numbers seem like reasonable targets.

I'm going to be keeping track of my progress in my workout log. Thanks again for the advice everyone, I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Alberto,
Congratulations, you made the right choice going with SS. If you can tolerate GOMAD, go for it. Otherwise, there are other ways to pack on the weight, though not quite as cheap (and GOMAD's not exactly cheap, but cheaper). Regardless, work up to GOMAD.

I'm currently in an all I can eat and then some phase along with nothing but strength training, three days/week. In an "advanced" novice stage at the moment. I had overdone the conditioning, dieting and then ended up injured. What I realized right around the time I was injured though was that my tank had gotten much more shallow having been hurt.

Strength is key. Strength must come before strength endurance.

Pay attention to what Jacob Cloud says around here. Dude's strong and has a solid understanding of all this stuff.

Keep us up to date and feel free if you want to PM me just to vent if you get frustrated or have any questions.

Good luck and enjoy only training 3 days/week. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Around the end of the year I'll probably go through a MEBB round or two. Maybe we can compete if you're up for it by then.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Alberto Velazquez

Profile:

One step at a time, my friend.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Alberto Velazquez

Profile:

Hey all, have started Rip's program and thoroughly enjoying doing nothing but lifts. Quick question about GOMAD, though.

I am currently downing a gallon a day, as Rip and many others here have suggested. Thing is, it seems everywhere I look I'm told to eat a ton of food a day as well. If I'm doing GOMAD, can I just maintain my current intake (about 16 blocks a day), or do I need to eat a lot in addition to the milk?