CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
Matthew Edwards

Profile:
More Starting Strength or MEBB?

Hey all,

I have been doing Starting Strength for most of this year. Started out with roughly two 6 week cycles broken up by a week of rest at the beginning of the year and went from roughly 175 to 190+lbs. Then, I went on two back to back business trips, became very sick for a week plus and lost all the way down to 168lbs. Not eating for a week will do that...anyway, I started back about 3 months ago and am now back up to 185lbs (I am 5'11").

I like the Starting Strength routine, and even though I am making gains, I begin to feel totally fried about the 5th week in, and then do lighter weights for a week and then take about 2 weeks off as I just feel that I need it. My lifts have done up but are not anything spectacular. They have actually been higher in the past on more Westside type routines. My last 3x5 weights were Squat 195, Bench 185, Press 125 and DL 1x5x225. Obviously, my lower body is weak, however in the past I have been able to 1RM a DL of 335 and a set of 10 for 255. Squats have also been higher, but not by much, only the low 200's. I have never been a good squatter.

I have also lost alot of metcon. I did crossfit in the past starting last August and then stopped for starting strength. On CF, my strength plummeted, and then obviously the opposite on SS. Now I am wondering if the MEBB sort of hybrid approach is my best bet. The strongest I have ever been was on an ME style Westside routine, albeit with no metcon conditioning whatsoever.

Does it make sense for me to try that program again? Logic says yes as in writing above that seems the most obvious thing for me to do, but my starting numbers are considerably lower than what most suggest for MEBB. I would also be doing a 5 on, 2 off routine to cooperate with my work schedule. I would plan to do ME-WOD-ME-WOD-ME, with one of the WOD's being some sort of sprinting variation and the other being something I pick from the front page that is not centric on lifts or sprints. For my ME's, some sort of total body oly lift, then a squat variation (front, back, OH) and then either Presses, Bench or weighted pull-ups. I also wondered if having a cycle of four ME's where one is DLs is better or just throw DLs into the total body exercise list.

Sorry for the long post, just want to give as much info for some good feedback. I think I just need some variety and to break up doing squats 3 times a week. I think it is frying my CNS after only 4-5 weeks.

Thanks! I can supply any other info if requested.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
David Goodrich

Profile:
Re: More Starting Strength or MEBB?

Someone a bit more familiar with MEBB can chime in, but ME-WOD-ME-WOD-ME looks like too much, you'll burn out. You don't get stronger by lifting weights, you get stronger through recovery.

I'd say stick with Rip, you still have a lot of room for SS to work its magic. If your body can handle it, throw in short heavy metcons and/or sprints one or twice a week (on the same day as lifting, or on Saturday - you need those rest days). I'm nearing the end of 6 weeks on Rip's advanced novice program with those additions - its been brutal, but very effective.

Also eat right, sleep, and STRETCH.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

You're not drinking the milk are you...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Kevin Carpenter

Profile:

Hey Matt,

Glad you're feeling better. I know it sucks to be sick and drop a ton of weight and strength.

You've been doing SS almost all year, i.e. 6-9 months? I second the milk comment. If you're having to take 2 weeks off every 5 weeks then you're definitely doing something wrong. If after 6-9 months you're squatting 195 at a body weight of 185 then you might have a form problem, or most likely it's an issue that has to do with your insufficient recovery and diet.

I would not recommend doing a 5 on 2 off MEBB program at this point. If you're fried on 3 days a week of SS then you will die on 5 days of MEBB.

My recommendation would be to go back and work on your squat form, post a video, and get some feedback. I would read SS again, get back on the program and do it as written. Do you have the book? If you're eating properly and following the program there is no reason to take a week or two off every 5 weeks.

Squats 3x a week should not fry your CNS unless you're eating like a gerbil. How often are you deadlifting? How many sets and reps?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carpenter View Post
Hey Matt,

Glad you're feeling better. I know it sucks to be sick and drop a ton of weight and strength.

You've been doing SS almost all year, i.e. 6-9 months? I second the milk comment. If you're having to take 2 weeks off every 5 weeks then you're definitely doing something wrong. If after 6-9 months you're squatting 195 at a body weight of 185 then you might have a form problem, or most likely it's an issue that has to do with your insufficient recovery and diet.

I would not recommend doing a 5 on 2 off MEBB program at this point. If you're fried on 3 days a week of SS then you will die on 5 days of MEBB.

My recommendation would be to go back and work on your squat form, post a video, and get some feedback. I would read SS again, get back on the program and do it as written. Do you have the book? If you're eating properly and following the program there is no reason to take a week or two off every 5 weeks.

Squats 3x a week should not fry your CNS unless you're eating like a gerbil. How often are you deadlifting? How many sets and reps?
I'll second all this, and agree with Derek. Sounds like you have not been following the program faithfully and not been drinking your milk.

What HAS your diet been like?
Have you been sleeping enough?
What has your past lifting background been like?
How closely have you been following the workout plan?
Have you read Practical Programming? (not necessary, but very helpful additional read to Starting Strength)

And, perhaps the most important question: what were your lifts when you started?

I'd guess that 9 times out of 10 if someone says they have been doing a Starting Strength program for months and haven't seen much in the way of strength gains then that means they are not REALLY following the program.

P.S. I don't want to sound accusatory or overly critical here, so please don't take it that way. SS workouts are hard and, I'd imagine, tough to keep up week after week. I for one am not ready to make the kind of lifestyle change to do a SS cycle (giving up crossfit and getting chubby, etc) so more props to you for going after it, but remember that you can't do it half assed. You gotta hit it hard and do it right or you won't see the gains.

Last edited by David Meverden : 08-31-2008 at 10:55 AM.