CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
John DeSouza

Profile:
dumbbell bench press instead of BB bench press

Due to a nagging pinched nerve in the neck which for some reason aggravates when using the BB for a bench press. Can i instead use dumb bells and follow the procedure in the Demo section by Mark Rippstone?

I find it easier to to use the dumbbell but am not sure if i would be able to follow the form as Mark Rippstone has in his lecture.

If not what would be an alternate to the BB bench press?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: dumbbell bench press instead of BB bench press

FYI ..

His name is Mark Rippetoe.

Most refer to him as 'Rip' or 'Coach Rip' (i think because he'd 'rip' you a new one if you messed with his program .... or didn't squat deep enough in his presence...)

But if you want to sub DB for BB - my suggestion would be to purchase and read Starting Strength and then, if you didn't find your answer - ask again.

BTW - glad you're here
Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

If I were you, I'd do what I can to take care of that pinched nerve.

Yes, do dumbell presses until your shoulder gets better, but don't ignore the larger issues at hand. Db presses are a fine exercise, but nothing compared to a barbell bench press for developing upper body strength.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
John DeSouza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
If I were you, I'd do what I can to take care of that pinched nerve.

Yes, do dumbell presses until your shoulder gets better, but don't ignore the larger issues at hand. Db presses are a fine exercise, but nothing compared to a barbell bench press for developing upper body strength.

The pinched nerve is due to a bulging disc in my neck and that surgery i want to avoid as much.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe problem with dbs are the incremental loading. Most gyms have 5 lbs jumps in the db once you get to a weight that will tax you for a set of five. A 10 lb increase every other workout on the SS program either means you started way low, your ROM is horrible, you are genetically gifted freak who we will all read about soon, or you have pharmacutical help.

If you can find a way to jump the dbs a total of 2 lbs combined, it should work the same as the BB version.

If you get a moderately priced solution, let me know.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Magnetic fractional plates, assuming the DB are all metal and not metal with rubber coating.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
John DeSouza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
THe problem with dbs are the incremental loading. Most gyms have 5 lbs jumps in the db once you get to a weight that will tax you for a set of five. A 10 lb increase every other workout on the SS program either means you started way low, your ROM is horrible, you are genetically gifted freak who we will all read about soon, or you have pharmacutical help.

If you can find a way to jump the dbs a total of 2 lbs combined, it should work the same as the BB version.

My old gym had increments of 2.5 LBS. my new gym has increments of 5 LBS. i started out with 40Lbs and i figure i do them till i get my form right and then slowly work my way to the 45LBS. Only help i have is that of protein powders and i do not go below and my hands stay parallel.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I was looking at magnets, they are pretty pricey though. THat would seem to be the best solution. I'm thinking of buying some fractional plates and just passing them through an electro magnet a few dozen times. Only problem is finding a dc source with alot of amps.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Greg Humphries

Profile:

Do a search for the "football bar" its an Olympic style bar that allows a neutral grip. Very useful for those with shoulder problems. Unfortunately, it's kinda pricey.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

I got the spin-lock adjustable dumbbell handles that take standard plates from Wal-Mart. My smallest standard plate is 1 1/4 lbs, which means I can increase the weight of the bell by 2 1/2 lbs a side.

Come to think of it, 1 1/4 lbs is a small enough amount of weight that I could just add a single plate and leave the handle unbalanced.

I can't remember who it was, but somebody said they found some big washers that had a hole just the right size for a standard bar... the washers weighted 0.25 lbs apeice, and were perfect for fractional loading.