CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Joey McIninch

Profile:
I love what crossfit has done for my body, I have lost over 5 inches off my waist and gone from 28% body fat to 13% and still going down, my question is... I have always been week on my chest and my pecs are not really porportionate to the rest of my body, I would also like to add some more mass to my arms and shoulders w/o doing traditional lifts like curls, tricep extensions and bench presses, what do you guys suggest that is more crossfittish and doesnt make me look like a jerk for busting on the "curl guys" I feel great, just want to look a lil better.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Heavy cleans and overhead presses will certainly work the shoulders, traps and triceps. Weighted pullups will give you a bigger back and biceps. If you want a bigger chest either do bench or weighted pushups (although that can be tricky by yourself). Or try to master 1-arm pushups. That and eat...eat...eat. You will only gain size once you up the protein and calories.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Fitness...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
If you haven't already, try "J.T." in honor of Jeff Taylor:

21-15-9
HSPU
Ring Dips
Pushups

serious overload on the pecs, shoulders and tri's
Old 09-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Joey McIninch

Profile:
Thanks Guys, I kinda knew the answers just figured I would get some outside input! I feel great knowing I will not have to resort to Curls! lol!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
K, before you ran off feeling down in the dumps, what do your upper body lifts looks like? Grab the Rippetoe chart that was mainpage a few days ago, see where your press and bench are relative to the rest of your body. Yeah, strength doesn't equal size, but it's close, and it might be a good way to check that you're actually small on top and not just trapped in a Schwarzenagger-inspired rut of what looks good.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:49 AM   #7
Chris Forbis

Profile:
"Lynne" is an outstanding workout for upper-body pump.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Opps, how can I forget dips...great tricep builder.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
But don't make the mistake I did a few years ago of pumping up the chest and neglecting your opposing back muscles. The gorilla look of slumping your arms forward because the pecs are too tight is not good.

Everytime you do a pec exercise, do a back one. By the way, I think we men tend to obsess about pecs. You look in a mirror and you don't see your quads or calves but your pecs. If you can bench your body weight 5-10x, I think you've probably got the strength you need. There is only so much time in the gym.

Also, the theory is that doing ME type exercises (max deadlift or squats) releases growth hormone and increases testosterone resulting in muscle growth elsewhere. I would agree: I've barely done any benchpressing for months while I work on the legs and my chest hasn't suffered much.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Elliot brings up an excellent point on Test release from heavy compound exercises. Especially leg dominant ones...you can't expect a big upper body with a weak lower one.