CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:
For all you "old style" lifters: floor press question

Hello,
I'm getting real frustrated over the last week trying to include the old time floor press into my SS cycle. Until now I was just pressing overhead. Now I want to stick more with the rx'd program hoping that some kind of orizontal pressing will help my OH strength a bit.
The situation is that I don'y have a rack nor I have a training partner and I find incredibly difficult to put the barbell in position for the exercise.
I tried two ways:
-A pullover movement, but I'm incredibly weak in it, and when things get heavier more than the naked barbell, I simply can't move it (what a shame)...
-Rolling it over my body from the feet toward the hands, but when you have to pull the barbell off from the floor, gotta have the elbows locked in position to perform like hinges for the forearms, and that really hurts on the elbows. Don't know if I can stand it when things will get heavy.
So my question is: how the old timers did it? Were they incredibly strong in the pullover or they had some kind of trick?
I hope somebody can help me.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: For all you "old style" lifters: floor press question

I always used my rack when I did floor press, but if I were in your situation, I would ask myself:

Are there any sort of object that could act as a block, so you can set under the plates, raising the barbell a good amount of inches off the floor?

If not, are there any BOOKS in there? I'd stack a few books and put the barbell there. Just an idea, trying to improvise.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

How are you doing squats? Can you set the pins low enough to use it like a bench press?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

clean the weight, then lay back with it and press.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Buy a bench if you want the full effect. Floor press or JM presses won't translate to the start of an OH press.

Otherwise just Steinborn the thing.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:

Wow how many fast answers! thanks...
Let's go with the replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I always used my rack when I did floor press, but if I were in your situation, I would ask myself:

Are there any sort of object that could act as a block, so you can set under the plates, raising the barbell a good amount of inches off the floor?

If not, are there any BOOKS in there? I'd stack a few books and put the barbell there. Just an idea, trying to improvise.
Yes, I tried it but my problem was always missing one of the too narrow blocks I put under the plates.... I thing it's worth working on improving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
How are you doing squats? Can you set the pins low enough to use it like a bench press?
No, way, my squat rack is the homemade 2 2x4 pieces with a v cut on top, each inserted in a bucket filled with concrete. You know the projects that's somewhere on the equipment forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
clean the weight, then lay back with it and press.
Have you ever did this really? I'd be interested in the details. I tried a sort of clean when I was already sit on the floor... and the results where almost catastrophics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Buy a bench if you want the full effect. Floor press or JM presses won't translate to the start of an OH press.

Otherwise just Steinborn the thing.
What is this Steinborn move you're telling of? I only knew of the Steinborn Squat.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Britt Buckingham

Profile:

A straight pullover off the floor can be difficult. Have you tried putting your feet flat on floor arching your back and using momentum to help with the initial "pullover" to get the weight up. I work alone too and without a rack, and generally when I do floor press I use relatively lighter weights compared to say a bench press...key reason if you get stuck and cant get the weight back over your head to the floor you are in for a bad day. If you are intent in doing them, start it light and work up as your strength gains come. Also... are the plates you are using standard diameter 45lb or 20kg(about 17") or are they smaller. The smaller plate can make the geometery more of a challenge gettting the bar off the floor.
http://brittlift.blogspot.com
Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

I am a strange cat, i love the old time lifts, i used to do floor presses with 200-250 for reps and that may seem daunting to get off the ground into the right position if you don't know how to back bridge...hehehe. You bridge the weight from the hips.

Try this with an unloaded barbell first to understand the feel.

Place the bar over your hips/waist (more towards the hips, they are stabler and will not buckle) then drive the hips up and push the weight slightly up and out so that it locks out above your chest. Be careful not to let the bar go out and beyond your head above you (possible shoulder issues) come up into a neck/shoulder bridge (shoulder head and neck on the ground, feet flat on the ground, hips up, back arched.

I do floor press, floor press from the wrestlers bride, bent press...and many other old-time strength movements, i love them.

http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Gallery/Gallery7.html

(w/f safe)

Look at the bottom of the page at Joe Nordquest and his body position for where you should end up (at the end of the bridge, you just lay down and put your feet out like a normal floor press and then....start pressing...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #9
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Buckingham View Post
A straight pullover off the floor can be difficult. Have you tried putting your feet flat on floor arching your back and using momentum to help with the initial "pullover" to get the weight up. I work alone too and without a rack, and generally when I do floor press I use relatively lighter weights compared to say a bench press...key reason if you get stuck and cant get the weight back over your head to the floor you are in for a bad day. If you are intent in doing them, start it light and work up as your strength gains come. Also... are the plates you are using standard diameter 45lb or 20kg(about 17") or are they smaller. The smaller plate can make the geometery more of a challenge gettting the bar off the floor.
http://brittlift.blogspot.com
Yes I've tried what you say, and yes I can't do it yet with any other weight more than the barbell.
For the plates, I think there's no problem they are the standard 45cm diameter bumpers, My head can pass under the barbell with no problem, even if there's not so much room, so I think safety is not an issue.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #10
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Patrick Thompson View Post
I am a strange cat, i love the old time lifts, i used to do floor presses with 200-250 for reps and that may seem daunting to get off the ground into the right position if you don't know how to back bridge...hehehe. You bridge the weight from the hips.

Try this with an unloaded barbell first to understand the feel.

Place the bar over your hips/waist (more towards the hips, they are stabler and will not buckle) then drive the hips up and push the weight slightly up and out so that it locks out above your chest. Be careful not to let the bar go out and beyond your head above you (possible shoulder issues) come up into a neck/shoulder bridge (shoulder head and neck on the ground, feet flat on the ground, hips up, back arched.

I do floor press, floor press from the wrestlers bride, bent press...and many other old-time strength movements, i love them.

http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Gallery/Gallery7.html

(w/f safe)

Look at the bottom of the page at Joe Nordquest and his body position for where you should end up (at the end of the bridge, you just lay down and put your feet out like a normal floor press and then....start pressing...
Yes man, I think I've got it. This is the movement I need. Maybe this was the move Gant was talking about?? I'm not sure.
I'm gonna try this the next workout. and thanks to everyone for your help.