CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Chris Brophy

Profile:  
If I am performing the Mon (5x5 ), tues (wod), wed (5x5), thur (wod and Fri (5x5) should I do a wod on Sat and take Sun off?

Or should I take the weekend off? I feel Ican handle the 6 days a week but I have a tendency to overtrain...any thouhgts or recommendations/

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
If you can go 6 days and properly recover, then go for it. If your performance stays up, your not getting sick, your sleeping well, you energy levels are high - no lethargy ect. then your probably good to go.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Chris Brophy

Profile:  
Thanks neal...

chris
Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Leave a little gas in the tank. Sometimes you need a rest day BEFORE you need a rest day!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Robb is right...it is too late when you bonk and you realize you overtrained. Super counterproductive. I was the queen of overtraining and I learned the hard way that it is better to be slightly undertrained than overtrained. In competitiion the ones who were undertrained usually beat the overtrained types....I got my butt kicked on many occasions because of this. More is not better...especially with this stuff.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Chris Brophy

Profile:  
Eva and Rob....
Thanks for the input...I always feel that I should do one more day...3 days of wods and 3 days of the 5x5 days....

Will I loose anything from not doing the wods 3 days a week?

Chris
Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
John Velandra

Profile:
Chris,
Think of it this way... why do most people NOT see positive long term resluts from the gym (besides muscle & Fiction, which even then could have produced SOME results)... it's because with six days of beating up the body, lack of rest and poor to barely addequate nutrition, their body's were getting burned out.

The consequences (good or bad) is the result of cummalative damage... most successful powelifters - and any other athlete - sees more positive results from good recovery!
Old 07-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Ian Carver

Profile:
I can relate 100% to what Eva said. Being overtrained sucks and hurts you bad in the short and long run as you will begin to lose the gains you made as your body wears down and does not recover properly. Listen to your body and if you are getting worn out, it's time to back it off. After all the years of racing, and now just staying fit, I have finally figured out to know when I was not feeling up to speed and taking the time off, whether it is 1, 2, or more days. It's hard to do, but when I get back it is much more beneficial for my body overall and I have not lost a ton of fitness. It also keeps you from plateauing in your fitness levels and keeps you motivated. High intesity training takes ALOT out of you, even if you don't feel like it all the time. You know yourself best, but make sure you listen accordingly.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
THE QUALITY OF YOUR TRAINING IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE QUALITY OF YOUR REST.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
FYI FROM:
http://www.thejump101.com/art/vert/vertimportance.html

"The vertical jump test can also be used to assess your state of recovery prior to a weight-training, speed, or even practice session. If you overtrain your nervous system by performing an excessive volume of heavy weight or high- speed training, the fatigue will manifest itself first in your performance in movements requiring high-speed. You might not notice it much, but this type of fatigue will tend to show itself very quickly as a decrease in performance of the vertical jump. If this happens ideally you'll want to cut back slightly on the volume of your training session(s) to recover. One thing you can do is use your vertical jump as a barometer of how much volume and intensity you should use for a training session.

Simply warm up and get a sweat going and then perform a couple of vertical jumps. Compare your jump height to your normal "fresh" jump height and assess the results.

If the height is down 10% or more you should cut the volume in half for that session and cut the training intensity down by 10%. For example, instead of performing 16 total sets with an average load of 80% 1rm you might perform 8 sets with an average load of 70%, stopping each set well shy of failure.

If the height of your vertical jump hasn't increased or decreased simply carry out the training session as planned.

If the height is up 10% or more you can increase the volume by 20% and the intensity by 5%.

One thing to note is if you have recently completed an intense leg training session and have a lot of soreness your performance might temporarily decrease anyway so it's best to use this test either after an upper body workout or when you're experiencing little to no soreness."