CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Jay Sneed

Profile:
Advice on achieving goals

I'm looking for some advice from experienced crossfitters who pretty much have everything dialed in. I've been crossfitting for about 2 years and average 3-4 metcons per week w/strength work. Im a 33yoa /m 5"9 160lb 29.5 waist about 6% bf. Diet is lean meats,veggies,fruits, nuts and healthy oils (olive,coconut). Caloric intake on workout days is around 1800-1900 calories (120g p 100g c 120g f) non workout days about 1600 cal. w/same macros. Performance is good but I would like to add some lean muscle and want to keep the bodyfat where it's at. I need to keep the metcons where they are due to my line of work, so dropping them isn't an option. Question is, how feasible is this and should I bump up the protein a bit.

Joe Waguespack, if you Gant or Wolf are out there I would be interested to get your opinion. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: Advice on achieving goals

Not one of the experts, but I suggest upping protein and calories for sure.

If you are ok with dairy, whole milk might do the trick. Start with a quart a day. If no dairy, extra meat and nuts/oils.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

We actually talked about this & building lean mass today in my Sports Nutrition class & I mentioned Rip's recommendations to drink a gallon of milk- the Dr. said it was a great idea, especially with skim milk because of the less fat.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Jay Sneed

Profile:

Thanks for the tips, but I don't do dairy and I'm happy with my carb intake at 100g per day or less. I'm looking for something a little more specific in regard to my protein intake and whether or not it is high enough and should just bump the fats or bump the protein and if so how much. Again, performance is fine, happy with bf where it is and looking to gain lean muscle, not just bodyweight. Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

They kind of answered it with the milk suggestion. Instead of milk start supplementing with whey or just eat alot more chicken, tuna, etc. If you read Gant's thread (Hybrid Programs) he says he upped his protein but kept his carbs at about the same. Of course if you're gonna want to increase LBM while keeping your bf at the same you're gonna have to increase protein. I'd say start off at about 1.5x and go from their.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Nothing that already hasn't been said...but to build muscle:
- eat more total calories to signal muscle building
- eat more protein to build muscles
- get sleep, recover and train hard (but don't overtrain)

if you want more nitpicking things you can also read this, link sfw
Muscle Building 101