CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
The Evolution of Westside Barbell Training

All that talk about Louie Simmons method finally made me look at what it is all about (seems like I am the last to learn about it on this forum )
That seemed like a good article. I am sure many of you already read this stuff, but just for those who did not (f/w safe):
The Evolution of Westside Barbel Training Part1
Evolution of Westside Barbel Training Part2
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Matt Stearley

Profile:
Re: The Evolution of Westside Barbell Training

Alexander,

I read the article, but I don't think I understand the box squat concept. Clearly, one "sits" on the box to develop the starting strength and eliminate the eccentric portion, but the phrase "you could sit fully back on the box until your shins were not only perpendicular to the ground but PAST vertical" is confusing to me. Past vertical in the sense that your foot and shin have an angle greater that 90 degrees? How would you squat up from that position?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Honestly I have no idea. I am completely new to Westside barbell although I have heard about it so many times during last 5 years. Maybe someone who is familiar with box squat technique would be able to answer this question or better yet post a video teaching to do box squat.
I would think if you really work on sitting back instead of sitting down sooner of later you will be able to get past 90 deg. Another question would be how low you will be able to lower the box.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Doug Holland

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Q-...eature=related wfs
Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stearley View Post
Alexander,

I read the article, but I don't think I understand the box squat concept. Clearly, one "sits" on the box to develop the starting strength and eliminate the eccentric portion, but the phrase "you could sit fully back on the box until your shins were not only perpendicular to the ground but PAST vertical" is confusing to me. Past vertical in the sense that your foot and shin have an angle greater that 90 degrees? How would you squat up from that position?
The box allows you to sit back farther than you could on a free squat (you would fall over), therefore, you engage the posterior chain/hips to a greater degree (less emphasis on the quads). Sitting further back means your shins will not be perpendicular to the ground.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
Awesome link!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

thanks! there was another one in related videos.
You can see the ankle angle better here.
f/w safe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uou8dEXCuo
i understand that this huge wide stand makes it possible to lift heavier weight for them and keep ankles straight up. how useful it would be for general fitness though. amplitude of such squat seems to be very small.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
The box allows you to sit back farther than you could on a free squat (you would fall over), therefore, you engage the posterior chain/hips to a greater degree (less emphasis on the quads). Sitting further back means your shins will not be perpendicular to the ground.
Yes. And the leverage is outstanding - it's the planche of barbell exercises. Good mornings also fall into this category - lower weight, higher leverage than back squats, deadlifts, etc. I'm just stepping into these exercises myself, and I think that they have a place.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Yes. And the leverage is outstanding - it's the planche of barbell exercises. Good mornings also fall into this category - lower weight, higher leverage than back squats, deadlifts, etc. I'm just stepping into these exercises myself, and I think that they have a place.
it seems to me that this stuff is more suitable for dedicated inter/advanced powerlifter and most crossfitters who lift beginner/inter weights (by powerlifting standards) will not benefit from Westside any more than from something like SS and Olympic lifts program. I mean when you squat 600 lb it is not really wise to train with that kind of load and then exercising with 50% of this weight to get same or even better workout would make sense. Chains and rubber bands are really for advanced lifters only.
But for ex. my current max squat is about 360 lb (175 BW, I think I can squat more applying proper powerlifting techniques)... should I look for a way to reduce the load? doesn't seem like it...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
it seems to me that this stuff is more suitable for dedicated inter/advanced powerlifter and most crossfitters who lift beginner/inter weights (by powerlifting standards) will not benefit from Westside any more than from something like SS and Olympic lifts program. I mean when you squat 600 lb it is not really wise to train with that kind of load and then exercising with 50% of this weight to get same or even better workout would make sense. Chains and rubber bands are really for advanced lifters only.
But for ex. my current max squat is about 360 lb (175 BW, I think I can squat more applying proper powerlifting techniques)... should I look for a way to reduce the load? doesn't seem like it...
I think besides the strength aspect, box squats do have a place for crossfitters in that recovery/DOMS are favorable compared to free squatting, thus allowing us to perform WODs better/more often.

You make some good points though. Westside training is very advanced and obviously geared toward elite powerlifters, who can't possibly train with huge weight all the time.

In the end, I think it's good to mix up the protocols to vary the stimulus. It;s also a good idea to black box the different protocols to see what works best for the individual.