CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Chris Robinson

Profile:
My MEBB Program

Over the next 9 weeks I'm planning on following Coach Rutherford's MEBB program model in order to build my strength level. I'll be following the 6 on 1 off approach he explains in Part III of his PM article, where your training looks like this:
Monday: CF
Tuesday: Total Body (TB)
Wednesday: CF
Thursday: Lower Body (LB)
Friday: CF
Saturday: Upper Body (UB)
Sunday: Rest

The lifts I plan on using are:
TB: 1) Deadlift, 2) Clean, 3) Snatch
LB: 1) Front Squats, 2) Overhead Squats, 3) Back Squats
UB: 1) Shoulder Press, 2) Weighted Pull-ups & Dips, 3) Jerk

Each exercise will be used for a three-week cycle and will follow a rep scheme where week 1 is 5x5, week 2 is 5x3, and week 3 is 5x1.

My questions to the CF community are:
1) For those that have tried the MEBB approach, did you find that only performing one exercise on each of your ME days was enough to really improve your strength? If not, what exercises would you suggest I add to each ME day?
2) Do the exercises I'm using look okay or would you suggest something else?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
Re: My MEBB Program

I like your set up here. I have heard a lot about this MEBB stuff, and am considering it.

So you are saying that it would only be one of the lower body excercises on the Lower body day?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Yes. The way Coach R has it set up is to do one exercise on each of the ME days. So, on the Total Body day for instance, my workout would consist of:
Deadlift 5x5 the first week, 5x3 the second week, and 5x1 the third week. After the third week I will switch to cleans for the TB day.

That's the way the program is outlined, but I'm curious if anyone out there has seen better results by adding an exercise or two to each of the ME days.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Keenan Lightner

Profile:

Excuse my naivety (or ignorance), but how heavy do you go on the MEBB days? I have been on the Texas Method for strength training for around 6 months and take around 4 days to recover from heavy deadlifts. I throw 1-2 CF workouts in the week depending on how quick my recovery is. So 1 day of recovery seems very crazy to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I don't see a problem with adding another excercise as long as you don't go for broke on it. Maybe do it more for higher reps. Like if you are doing 3 x 5 front squat, do some overheads with a moderate weight for a few reps.

I don't really have any background in this though, that's just my 2 cents
Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post
Excuse my naivety (or ignorance), but how heavy do you go on the MEBB days?
Per Coach Rutherford in Part I of his PM article: "A cornerstone of the Westside Barbell training program is the Maximum Effort Day. During these sessions the athlete works with a load near his/her maximum (90+%) for that day. Repetitions range from 1-5. In this program we will be using near maximal loads for all the weighlifting movements." In Part III, in regards to reaching max loads, he adds, "The idea is to increase the weight of each work set until the best effort for that day is achieved."

For a discussion on sets, reps, and weight, check out this thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23249
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
John Stirling

Profile:

Chris, your program looks good, I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I am also getting ready to start on MEBB and I'm doing it a little different. I wanted to post this with yours for comparison and comment as well. I hope that's alright with you.

I'm kicking off my MEBB on May 2 through May 4. I have picked three excercises per group (ie total body, upper body and lower body). On those first three days I'm going to use the CrossFit total program on one exercise per group per day.

May 2: Power clean (TB), Back Squat (LB), Overhead Press (UB)
May 3: Deadlift (TB), Front Squat (LB), Bench Press (UB)
May 4: Snatch (TB), Overhead Squat (LB), Weighted dips and pullups (UB)

I've read the MEBB article from Performance Menu numerous times and I've chosen to go with the following schedule.

Day 1: Xfit
Day 2: Total body excercise
Day 3: Xfit
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Xfit
Day 6: Lower body excercise
Day 7: Xfit
Day 8: Rest
Day 9: Xfit
Day 10: Upper body excercise
Day 11: Xfit
Day 12: Rest

Three weeks per excercise.

Week 1: 5x5
Week 2: 5x3
Week 3: 5x1

That's what I'm looking at. I know that bench press isn't a practical excercise but I've had a personal vendetta with that lift for years and I think this is the program that I can finally improve my bench press with.

Any suggestions or comments, please feel free. Chris, thanks again and ahead of time for letting me add mine.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Wouldn't your performance for the WODs go down since you would be tired from doing the TB workout the previous day? Like say you did the LB workout, then the next day (hypothetically) the 400m walking lunge WOD came up. The LB workout you did the day before would definitely impact it. Or are you choosing WODs to do so as to avoid overtraining? Both programs look solid, but overtraining is something I always watch out for since I kind of did it doing way to many pull-ups, so that's why I am concerned.

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 04-02-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
Tim Luby

Profile:

Your program looks good. Only thing that I question is putting the jerk in there as UB. If anything, the jerk is TB. I admit I know nothing about MEBB, so I could be wrong.

No bench press?

Best of luck with the new routine. Keep us updated.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Wouldn't your performance for the WODs go down since you would be tired from doing the TB workout the previous day? Like say you did the LB workout, then the next day (hypothetically) the 400m walking lunge WOD came up. The LB workout you did the day before would definitely impact it. Or are you choosing WODs to do so as to avoid overtraining? Both programs look solid, but overtraining is something I always watch out for since I kind of did it doing way to many pull-ups, so that's why I am concerned.
There is no question you would have to do a little hand picking of your WODs. You may just skip around a bit, or pick from "benchmarks". Obviously you wouldn't do lower body then 400 m lunges - unless you are a masochist and enjoy not being able to sit down on the toilet

On another note, I would love to see progress compared between someone "black boxing" and a typical crossfitter. Particulary, I would like to see the differences in times on MetCon. The Black Boxer would more than likely outdo in strenght areas, but I am curious as to whether metcon progress would be hindered. If you are CFing 3 times a week, I would think you could still maintain pretty good metcon times. Furthermore, the strength gains may help you to fight harder through a workout with decent loads like "elizabeth"