CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Bill Ennis

Profile:
WOD Substitutions/Template Adherence

I have a question for everyone regarding WOD substitutions. I've been doing crossfit for about 8 months and currently have a nagging case of golfers elbow. I've been resting it and avoiding almost all pullups which aggravated it in the first place. Then we have a WOD like yesterday-weighted pullups. What I've done in the past if I needed to sub a WOD is just look for one that I like ; for example one with rowing. Yet I read the 2/03 Crossfit Journal about WOD templates and thought maybe I should try and stick closer to the template.
For example , weighted pullups looks like a pure gymnastics day (G) ; maybe also W for weightlifting . So , if I want to sub should I look for a WOD that looks like it matches it- a pure G day ?/ or a GW day depending on how you view it ?
Or am I making too big of a deal out of it ?
Any thoughts/ comments are appreciated.
Bill
Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: WOD Substitutions/Template Adherence

I would say rest. You only get one body.

If I can't do a WOD because of an injury to a major joint I don't even try. Just find something else you can do with the non-injured parts of your body.

BTW, there's no really good subs that match weighted pullups except maybe weighted rows.. maybe iron cross or front lever. Except those are still all rough on your elbows.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Steven would you consider weighted pullups a G day or a W day?

Even though it is a gymnastic move ( kind of), I felt like it would be more in the W category since its heavy weight

Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Bill Scott

Profile:

Bill, I had the "golfer's elbow" thing too, a while back. No amount of rest or ice would help. I found an IASTM, Interment Assisted Soft Tissue Massage, practitioner in the area and six treatments late I was cured. You may want to search for one in your area.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Bill Ennis

Profile:

Thank you all for your responses.
Steven- I agree that I need to rest the elbow. I'm looking for a non-elbow involved WOD that stays with that days template , e.g. G/W/M. I don't know how important this is , just wondering. For example , if the WOD seems like a G day (weighted pullups) , should I look for another G WOD that doesn't involve pullups ? Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill. In my case , I did a rowing/wall ball WOD because I don't get to row very much and it's fun (and hard).
I guess the possible danger in thoughtlessly subbing a WOD would be that you would tend toward something that you're already strong in and not work on you weaknesses.
Bill- Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for an IASTM practitioner in my area.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Bill
Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

I would consider anything where you move a significant portion of your bodyweight in a movement to be a bodyweight exercise.

Thus, weighted dips and pullups would count as well as squats and deadlifts albeit less because you're pushing and pulling less of your bodyweight respectively (compared to external and bodyweight). Pistols would be more of a bodyweight exercise than weighted squats just like a cross would be more of a bodyweight exercise than weighted pullups. Or for another example how front lever progression pullups would be more of a bodyweight exercise than bent over rows.