CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
Nick Craig

Profile:
The role of Fat

While I feel that I understand what Protein and Carbohydrate do within the confines of the zone diet, I am less sure about fat.

What role does fat play in a cf context? What does it do? What would be the signs of an inadequate fat intake?

When I began Zone (this was before Crossfit, so I didn't have performance in mind) I was doing so for my health. I reckoned that the odd unhealthy snack or forced choice of less favourable meals (perhaps even some fast food after a night of drinking) would make up for not actively perusing the fat blocks.

This is in stark contrast to the effort required in keeping the carb blocks right and the protein blocks up. An example would be a breakfast smoothie without bothering with the nuts, a lunch with a relatively small amount of olive oil and very lean piece of meat for dinner.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: The role of Fat

If you are eating protein and carbs at your meals you are not doing the Zone. The Zone has you eating all three amcronutrients at every meal. Subbing your fat blocks with fast food is a recipe for.....well good luck with that.

Edited for spelling.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Just as protein are used to rebuild muscle, and carbs to refill your glycogen , fat is needed to take care of your actual cells ( which are composed by a large amount of fat).

Now that is only a really simplist view, and all the macronutriments impact in a lot of process in your body .

Fat is also the "cleanest" form of energy in term of insulin response, this is why in order to have enough energy when performing at high level of intensity regurlarly, people on the zone add up their fat intake .

Fat is important and good. You should also try to watch the ratio of fat ( Omega3 vs Omega6 , IIRC) but someone more knownledgeable could help more than my noob self :P

And i Guess an inadequate fat intake would be when you feel with less energy and winded sooner during workouts? Thus a sign of less energy , thus not enough fat.

P.S: When the word fat is used in this post it refers to good fat...( nuts, olive oil, fish oil, flax seed, etc...). As said fast food for fat block is.... not good
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Fat also levels out the absorption of carbohydrates, which makes your insulin more stable (it's better to absorb say 9 grams per half hour for 2.5 hours than it is to absorb 45 grams in half an hour).

And fats are absolutely critical. The reason Americans are so sickly today is because they eat nothing but carbs, with some protein, and "lowfat" everything. Our bodies absolutely need fat. As a matter of fact, you could pretty much live off of meat and water alone, because of the protein and fat.

Go to www.texasgrassfedbeef.com and look up their take on fats, grassfed beef, etc.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Fat is great. I feel better since I started drinking olive oil. The only meal I don't add extra fat is when I have scrambled eggs and brisket (not the leanest cut of meat). Good stuff.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

It's important to note that you need to be eating the <em>right</em> kinds of fat. Fats from fish, olive oil, olives, nuts, and seeds are "good" fats. These contain monounsaturated and polysaturated fats, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart, arteries, and body. Fat that is composed of saturated fats and the dread trans fats are not good for you, so it is not a good idea to fill in your fat blocks with deep-fried food and sticks of butter.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post

Fat that is composed of saturated fats and the dread trans fats are not good for you, so it is not a good idea to fill in your fat blocks with deep-fried food and sticks of butter.
This is not correct. Newer studies do not equate Saturated fats as bad, as you can see from people using Coconut Oils, and sticks of butter, rock as opposed to fake butter.

Google search"" Another reason people believe coconut oil must be bad for you is misguided association: it is a saturated fat and "saturated fats are bad for you." Dietary guidelines inevitably fail to distinguish between different kinds of saturated fats and insist that saturated fats (meaning all saturated fats) are harmful""

This is not just misleading. It is bad science. Leading scientists now recognize that just as there is good cholesterol, there are also good saturated fats.

Trans Fat and processed foods are poor choices.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:

And polyunsaturated fats aren't all they're cracked up to be. They're highly prone to oxidation, require refining and deodorizing to be shelf-stable (i.e., don't cook in vegetable oils), and suppress the immune system in large quantities. Stick to olive, coconut, and palm oils, along with the fat of grass-fed/wild/pastured animals.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Steve Baum

Profile:

For all the info you could ever want on fats check out Know Your Fats by Mary Enig. Another great book with recipes is Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Lot's of great stuff. Also check out www.westonaprice.org for fantastic articles on nutrition and health.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
The reason Americans are so sickly today is because they eat nothing but carbs, with some protein, and "lowfat" everything.
This statement can't go unchallenged.

The notion that American are eating "low-fat" diets doesn't square with reality.

According to one report from the Centers for Disease Control the average American diet is 32+ % fat (down about 6% points in 30 years).

Carbs constitute less than 50% of the avg American's diet. Protein constitutes less than 20%.

A "low-fat" diet according to the USDA is 30% of calories from fat in one document, 20-35% in another. The Am Heart Association recomendation is 25-35% calories from fat. The mainstream authorities appear to be in line w/ the Zone when it comes to fat content.

All message boards should carry a warning:
Internet forum, facts are optional.