CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #41
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

It isn't a point worth pressing. I have a pair of Nike Zoom Waffles I can wear while in there; a very firm sole, but not much cushion. I still use them for running when my feet/calves are sore, since it does take some of the load off. The soles did get chewed up rather fast on them though...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #42
Alicia Michel

Profile:

i've got a pair of nike 5.0s and quite like their lightness and flexibility. was thinking of getting something with even thinner soles, but now that i'm doing lots of plyos and jumping, the 5.0s feel a little thin even.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #43
Tim Donahey

Profile:

I recently got a pair of the Puma Cortlandts ($55) off of puma.com, they're the crosscountry version of the h-street. They're a little more substantial than the h-street, which makes them great for xc, but they have the same minimal padding/low profile design that makes them great for POSE. They ran true to size for me and the shipping was free!

I just ordered a pair of the Nike Waffle Racers off of Ebay, so I'll be sure to let you know how those are.

Also the Adidas adiZero are supposed to be good for POSE.

-edit: I've heard good things about the New Balance 950's as well.

Last edited by Tim Donahey : 09-14-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #44
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Aldrich View Post
They
To my understanding the 5.0 and 3.0 are supposed to have less support in them? If thatís the case I might downgrade when I wear these out, unless I find something a bit different. It going to be hard for me to switch to Prose style and I am kind of intimidated by it.
Remember Alex, just ease into it. I have been doing POSE style running now for about 3 weeks as well as doing the pre-training/pre-conditioning exercises for it. I have to tell you, that after 20 years of running (some of it including marathons) my legs, feet, knees and back do not feel half as bad during the post cool down sessions. I actually feel like I did not run at all..comparatively speaking. It's because the entire range of muscles are being recruited properly into the running ROM and the energy distribution is being use more efficiently which causes a lot less stress on any particular muscle group.
Start out by reading this (w/f safe article): http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html
That's how I got started and it really helps in braking down the mechanics of propper body alignment and muscle conditioning.

As far as the Nike 5.0 and 3.0, each is designed for you to migrate into as you continue to condition and strengthen your POSE runnning style over time. 7.0s are for beginners, 5.0s are mid range and 3.0s are for those who have reached an even higher level of conditioning. 3.0s are pretty much next to running barefooted.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #45
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Queen View Post
As far as the Nike 5.0 and 3.0, each is designed for you to migrate into as you continue to condition and strengthen your POSE runnning style over time. 7.0s are for beginners, 5.0s are mid range and 3.0s are for those who have reached an even higher level of conditioning. 3.0s are pretty much next to running barefooted.
I think it actually runs on a scale from 1 to 10; 1 being barefoot and 10 being a "full bodied" shoe. So according to them a 3.0 would be about two next to running barefoot. Imo, the Free's have too much heel, and isn't a true "low profile" shoe like the H-Street. They're still a good shoe though.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #46
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
I think it actually runs on a scale from 1 to 10; 1 being barefoot and 10 being a "full bodied" shoe. So according to them a 3.0 would be about two next to running barefoot. Imo, the Free's have too much heel, and isn't a true "low profile" shoe like the H-Street. They're still a good shoe though.
wow, this thread keeps going and going...

So, if you were to rate the H-streets on the same scale of 1-10, what would you rate them?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #47
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leach View Post
wow, this thread keeps going and going...

So, if you were to rate the H-streets on the same scale of 1-10, what would you rate them?
Imo on a 1-10 scale, barefoot would actually be 0, since no shoe will truly replicate barefootedness. Honestly I have yet to get my hands on a pair of H-Streets, I've only tried the Cortlandts, but from all I've read they'd rate a 1.0 with the VFF being a .5.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #48
Timothy Roehr

Profile:

Does anyone else wear sizes smaller than 42 for the Vibram Five Fingers? Anyone had any luck finding smaller sizes?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #49
Roark Marsh

Profile:

I tried on 41s, I think that may be as small as they go, though there may be overlap with women's sizes below that.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #50
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
I just ordered a pair of the Nike Waffle Racers off of Ebay, so I'll be sure to let you know how those are.
Well, my Racers just came today in the post! It's an excellent shoe; lightweight, flat sole -firmer than the Cortlandts- and with minimal padding. Has a spiky rubber bottom great for XC (but not so great for CF).

Unfortunatley, it's about half a size too small for me (the US size was a half too small, but it matched my European size perfectly), but for the price it was worth the chance. What sucks is returning them... I'll have to pay shipping charges and a restocking fee, which will leave me with a limp $7.

So if you're a size 9 Mens or a 10.5 Womens -and these do run true to size- I'm offering them for the same price I paid: $30.50 (I'll even pay up to $4.00 of the shipping charge).

Check out the EBay listing here (WFS):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=012

The EBay sale is closed, but you can get these brand new Nike Zoom Waffle Cross Country Racers for the same stellar price I paid. My email is timdonahey@gmail.com.

Thanks!