CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #31
Alex Rosch

Profile:
Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

I got a pair of FiveFingers the other day...what an experience...
I walked around, went shopping, that sort of stuff...
I tried running a 5km and had to stop at mile 2 (damn, one mile to go).
Everything south of my calves were on fire (good fire). I could barely walk my tendons and ligament were so sore (good sore). I think a more gradual approach is RX'd. My running form was self-corrected by the shoe, forcing me to abandon my sloppy heel-striking. I must say, that I didn't feel the sore knees after the run (the bad sore).
I have 'Classics' in blue/yellow...not my choice of colour, but given the option of waiting till spring to get a pair, I thought "who cares?" Now, the louder the better...I'm already getting funny looks! I will note that my wife will not be seen out with me...especially since I have a propensity to go to the store after my WOD, all sweaty, wearing rugby shorts and fivefingers!
I'm totally getting another pair in the spring!
I would caution anyone with really flat feet to look elsewhere...however, I think that they could benifit anyone with proper scaling (that is, just walking around, not doing WODs and long distance runs).
Give'em time to change your feet.

I should add that I wear 47's in my blundstones (12) and got size 45 Fivefingers...you want them to be snug.

Last edited by Alex Rosch : 09-08-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: More details about size
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #32
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

They Trainers I picked up are half size smaller than my runners but I don’t wear socks and they fit just fine. I could probably break them in, but the toe just seems too pointed for my foot. The runners feel like nothing on my feet, I really like them.

To my understanding the 5.0 and 3.0 are supposed to have less support in them? If that’s the case I might downgrade when I wear these out, unless I find something a bit different. It going to be hard for me to switch to Prose style and I am kind of intimidated by it.

I am mostly going to use the VFF for kicking it around the house and yoga.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #33
George Mounce

Profile:

Glad you are liking them Alex. You will get lots of questions, and yes they critique you every single wrong step during a run.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #34
Leila Terrado

Profile:

I recently bought a pair of Nike Frees 7.0 and haven't wanted to wear any other shoe. They feel great on my feet almost like I was barefoot.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #35
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Just got my pair of VFF in today based on the advise in this post. So far I love em. Thanks for the tip. I was considering the Nike Frees but I got confused by all the different versions so I went with the simpler choice.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #36
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Actually, I just tried out a new pair of running shoes today, which I'll review, but as for an official crossfit shoe…

POSE or Chi running are the two major prevailing running styles of crossfitters. Both are essentially the same thing (leaning forward, landing on the balls of the foot, letting gravity do the work) with minor stylistic differences. Both require a slow, gradual phase-in time: normally two weeks, a month if you have bad flat feet or high arches. If you’re a freak like me, and have one flat foot and one regular one, expect a LONG time to get used to it. I started mid July and I’m still working the kinks out. I’ve suffered all sorts of aches in the flat side: calf pain, sore arches, lower back pain, and a glute that feels like it’s on fire right now, BUT for the first time ever my knees feel great and my calves are strong as hell.

As for the shoes: stick with the recommendations for those running types - light with minimal padding:

The puma h-street (I got mine in modest black and white color scheme)
The puma ilo,
The addidas samba
The asics tai-chi
For colder climates, the brooks mach 9 spikeless (I tried them today, review to follow)
or, probably the best, but certainly the weirdest, the vibram fivefingers.

Any racing-flat style shoe with minimal padding and a thin heel will do. Shoes with no padding, like the fivefingers, also double as fantastic o-lifting shoes.

For colder climates, stick with traditional racing flats. They have some padding (which keeps the toes from turning blue) and slightly more material on the upper. This will serve to insulate you a little better and keep snow and freezing water off your feet.

Now onto the review:
I just took my brand new pair of Brooks Mach 9’s out of the box for a two mile run. They have a little bit of padding in them, but are shaped to make heel striking virtually impossible. They are likely to be great for the below freezing winters I’ll have ahead, but I’ll probably experience some strength loss in the feet as compared to running in my h-streets. The would probably make a EXCELLENT shoe for a beginner just learning to POSE or Chi run. Retails for $55. They run true to size the same as the h-streets. If the fivefingers rate a 10 and the h-streets are a 9 I’d give these a sold 8.5-8.

Bottom line: Buy them to learn good running form or to run in the winter. Stick with the above listed shoes for everything else.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 09-13-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #37
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Here's a pic of the brooks mach 9 spikeless for anyone interested:

http://a712.g.akamai.net/7/712/225/v...41215981_z.jpg

Last edited by Darren Zega : 09-13-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #38
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thacker View Post
Just got my pair of VFF in today based on the advise in this post. So far I love em. Thanks for the tip. I was considering the Nike Frees but I got confused by all the different versions so I went with the simpler choice.
We will soon take over the world!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #39
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Bleh. My Vibrams are a no-go at my school's weight room. At least the weight room coach is accepting of, and impressed with, my workouts.

I'll still use them for workouts at home, warm-ups, and runs... I had a very nice 3/4 mile warm-up run today.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #40
George Mounce

Profile:

Maybe educate him that it is a shoe? I'm not sure how having plastic and rubber encasing your foot with say...Nike Air's would do so much more to protect one's feet then a pair of VFF when a weight is dropped on them.