CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #111
Michael Leach

Profile:
Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Learn about what? Your shoes wearing?
yes, if this is normal wear, or im running wrong, or walking wrong, or my right leg is longer than my left or something like that.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #112
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I can't imagine a way of running that doesn't create wear on your soles. You can't float. The only concern would be if it's in the "wrong" places, like at the heel.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #113
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
I can't imagine a way of running that doesn't create wear on your soles. You can't float. The only concern would be if it's in the "wrong" places, like at the heel.
...or the tongue
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #114
Martin Weir

Profile:

I don't know.

After looking at the pictures on the home page the overwhelming majority of people are wearing running shoes for their workouts.

Maybe I will forget the Sambas and use my addidas Barracks Cross Trainers.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #115
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leach View Post
yes, if this is normal wear, or im running wrong, or walking wrong, or my right leg is longer than my left or something like that.
Mike,

Technically, with proper form you never push the ground in any direction except straight down. You're foot does drag or scrape and you get virtually no wearing on your soles. The forward extension of the hips causes you to fall forward, generating your forward force, and all your legs do is applied the minimum amount of force to your body, straight upward to keep you from falling. Excessive wear means you’re scraping your feet on the ground, or you’re pushing in a direction other than straight down. A good thing to think about is how are you placing your foot on the ground? Can you feel any side to side slipping or forward and back scraping?

A great way to check this is to go and run on the most slippery surface you can find. If you start sliding all around then you know that there's problems with your form.

I have a pair of h-streets i've been using since early summer that has very little wear. The only wear I have on them is on the outside edge of the soles from calisthenics during Army PT.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #116
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I have a musing question for you Posers.

Do you also WALK with this method? Are you supposed to?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #117
Aaron Winter

Profile:

Quote:

I don't since I prefer to think that your foot is designed to carry your bodyweight evenly when nothing is acting on it (barbell, running).

The POSE site suggests that you start carrying your weight on your forefoot throughout the day, but it doesn't necessarily suggest that you walk like it.
I think this is just to get you more familiar with the method.

Furthermore, since lifting generally requires the weight be on your heels for pulls, squats, etc, I don't think it's good practice to conciously focus on placing your weight on a certain half of your foot under no load.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #118
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Zega View Post
Mike,
You're foot does drag or scrape and you get virtually no wearing on your soles. The forward extension of the hips causes you to fall forward, generating your forward force,
The extension of the hips translates down the leg, ultimately to the point of contact. Your foot (or shoe) exerts a force on the ground directed behind you, and the reaction force of the ground exerts a force directed in front. These forces are frictional.

Imagine running on a frictionless surface, like ice. Just because you start running with the Pose method doesn't magically redirect gravity in a horizontal direction. You still go nowhere.

I find the Pose dealio really helpful to work on running technique, but the physics behind it is...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #119
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
The extension of the hips translates down the leg, ultimately to the point of contact. Your foot (or shoe) exerts a force on the ground directed behind you, and the reaction force of the ground exerts a force directed in front. These forces are frictional.

Imagine running on a frictionless surface, like ice. Just because you start running with the Pose method doesn't magically redirect gravity in a horizontal direction. You still go nowhere.

I find the Pose dealio really helpful to work on running technique, but the physics behind it is...
Not entirely true...

You can run maintaining constant velocity on a frictionless surface, assuming you're already going forward - you just can't start or stop.

Moving at constant velocity (barring insignificant factors) the only force you need to apply is straight upward (now here's the big if), in theory. You'd need to have an infinitly high stride frequency. In reality there needs to be very small forces in all four horizontal directions due to minor inconsistencies in form. However, the better your form, the less these forces need to be applied and the less wear you will notice on your shoes.

To hammer home the point, there are a few POSE coaches on the posetech.com forums that have run 5k's barefoot on pavement. Now in general, I think that's unrealistic, but it proves that you can actually run with virtually no friction forces applied by the foot.

Quote:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have played around with it. It doesn't work. I've noticed that I tend to walk more gently, a little closer to forefoot landing and with a shorter stride since learning pose , but that's just by unconscious habit. Although, I have been trying to wrap my brain around ruck marching and whether or not there's a better way to do it than heel-toe.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 12-02-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #120
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:

I actually do walk more like POSE, and notice myself doing it from time to time. In all reality unless I'm in a store or my house, I really don't walk that much, preferring a slow jog in POSE form. I'm just a freak, I know.