CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Has MMA driven the last nail in the coffin of boxing? This is quite possibly the worst time boxing has seen in a long time. Mayweather, who was one of boxing's "stars" danced his way to victory against De La Hoya....then retired after talking trash about MMA. Corey Spinks/Jermaine Taylor, last weekend, was the absolute worst fight I've ever witnessed.

Boxers are a product of a system that rewards them for puffed up undefeated records, and fighters are scared to engage in heavy combat for the sake of not losing. Throw in a corrupt judging system and it has spelled disaster for boxing.

MMA, on the other hand, delivers great fights on almost every card. You can't dance your way to victory in MMA. The top ten in every MMA weight class is littered with fighters you are eager to watch and fighters you GET to watch in big fights at least twice a year. Boxing has a confusing governance and the top tens are full of boxers that you've never heard of or don't want to watch. And the top fighters only fight big fights every few years.

The gap is widening between MMA and boxing. I hope it's boxing that learns something from MMA, and not the other way around.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Why watch boxing or wrestling for that matter when you can combine the 2 for something more realistic and exciting?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
I think the problem that boxing is facing has a lot to do with the promotion/management of the fighters. People like Don King-while he is individually successful-make boxing hard to watch. As Tim was talking about, boxers need a large number of wins (and almost no defeats) before these matches get on TV and they are "marquee" type fights. The promoters then set it up so that a decent fighter goes through a long-series of bums and journeymen, before he ever sees a real fight. This doesn't seem to be the case in MMA. A lot of this is detailed in "A Fighter's Heart". That is an excellent book, if you are looking for one to read.

I was reading an article on MMAweekly.com that said boxing seems to be popular with an older crowd (35-50 year olds), while MMA is popular with the 18-35 crowd. Ironically, the group that is really losing out because of MMA's popularity is Professional Wrestling.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Boxing, like making love, is an art of the people. It will endure.

EDIT: Not my quote. Liebling said it first.

(Message edited by sleepyblackdog on May 26, 2007)
Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:
No clue, but I sure find it painful to watch after watching MMA for a few years!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Unreal fights tonight!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Looking a the heavyweight division, yeah, id say boxing is dead. When you start coming down divisions I think that there will be some entertainin fights in the future. We have Ricky Hatton basically saying that he isn't bothered about anmore title fights and only wants to be involved in superfights with the like of Oscar.

We have up and comings like Bautista, named as the next Manny Pacquao up and coming. With a trainer like Freddy I think that he will do well.

Boxing is by no way dead, but you do have to look hard t see a good fight.

i'll agree on the Spinks/Taylor, I mean WTF, people actually have to pay to see this?? Horrendous. But on the flip side of the coin MMA still has some really terrible fights, just look at the Sanchez/Koscheck billed to be an amazing fight and what do we get? to stylists on wrestler one sick stylist grappler standing off in an ugly stand up fight. Not the best in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:59 AM   #8
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Oh yeah

I think boxing could learn someting from MMA, like how not to get pounded the head for 12 rounds by someone who hits like a truck. They could learn safety. I still think that the boxing comision believes that MMA is the most ugly sport and has lack of regulations.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Yes. Boxing is dead.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
William John

Profile:
No way boxing is dead, MMA is going to fad out again I love the sport its fun to watch but like Mayweather said " boxing is a art mma is a fad" Boxing has survive decades and decades and its not going away anytime soon.