CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I'm looking to get back into MA. I used to be involved in Shorin ryu Karate, but had to quit when I moved. I'm looking now to train in modern arts (BJJ, MT, Judo, NHB type arts), but the closest gyms seem to be close to an hours ride away, and I don't have the ability to get there.

Does anyone know anywhere close-ish to Dallas, Oregon (15 miles west of Salem) where I can train for not too much? Or, can anyone instruct me on how to train by myself at home until I'm able to start training at a gym?

The gyms I'm looking at right now once I'm able to get there regularly and without paying an arm or leg in gas fees are oregonmartialarts.com, straight blast gym, and victorygym.com. Once I'm able to start training, which would you all say would be the best gym to train at?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Ellen Stenard

Profile:
I think the guys from Team Chaos train out of the Salem Gold's Gym: www.teamchaosmma.com
I don't know much about them other than they get a lot of guys onto fight cards up here.

Are you looking at the Beaverton Straight Blast? That school has an excellent reputation and is where I'd train if I weren't at Team Quest. Gresham's probably a bit much of a drive, otherwise I'd try to talk you into coming up here and training with me.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I'm gonna look into this Team Chaos. What can you tell me about them? Also where and what do you teach up in Gresham? I may be training eventually up in the portland area, so I want to learn about as many gyms up there as possible.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Ellen Stenard

Profile:
I don't teach, just train here: www.tqfc.com
If you're interested, there's a mini-camp coming up in September that's open for anyone to attend. It's a three day seminar, I know Dan Henderson will be instructing and I imagine at least 1-2 others. I went to the last one and had amazing instruction from Matt Lindland, Chris Leben and Robert Follis. It's a great intro to MMA.

I really don't know much about Team Chaos at all, just that they produce a lot of guys who come up to Portland to fight. There will be a few of them fighting this Saturday in St. Helen's.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Sean Fitzmaurice

Profile:
hey ellen, were you at the camp in april. just wondering because those were my instructors also during the camp and i recall a female being in the camp that also attended quest regularly.