CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
Paul Joseph

Profile:
just wondered how many members the average crossfit facility had

and what size the average facility was too (Sq M or Sq Ft)
Old 02-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Paul Joseph

Profile:
does the lack of an answer here mean that the average CF gym doesnt need any members :pokey000:

seriously, i am thinking of opening a gym and want to work out the base amount of clients/members i need and if theres enough potential for it to grow

thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Anywhere from 2 members to several hundred. Square footage from 100 square feet to 4 or 5 thousand. Crossfit is scalable! :showoff:
Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Paul Joseph

Profile:
thanks "Lincoln Brigham " but that doesnt really help with me opening a gym

so the average crossfit facility has how many memebers}
Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Paul,

I think Lincoln's point, based on my reading of several other threads in several other areas of the board, is that there really is no such thing as "average". There is a good thread in this area, with a bunch of posts by Skip Chase, Frank DiMeo et al, that might help you out...I think it's entitled "Full Time?"

Crossfit facilities seem to come in everything from a garage to a backyard barn (yes, people apparently DO pay to join that facility) to small boxes, expanded retail storefront type environments and even fully fitted out light industrial type spaces (CF Santa Cruz and Primal Fitness seem to be more of this type).

If you already have all the gear you might need, then you're probably about ready to go. If not, check out the FAQ on the main page for info about where to go, what to get, the options you have, what seems to work for people, etc.

Envision what you want YOUR crossfit facility to be, and talk to the folks handling affiliations (Tony, I think, but maybe not...anyone?). Other than that, the sky and your funding are the limit :080402gudl_prv:
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Jason McCain

Profile:
There is a CFJ with the top ten tips for opening an affiliate. Sorry, cannot recall the issue off the top of my head.

One tip is to start in your garage and when it's too small move into something else. You can start today with zero out of pocket for rent and no lease. I have had to do this and it has worked with no problems. The perception of an external client thinking..."I'm working out in a garage" goes away when you show them quality coaching and "holy heckfire" I'm smoked CF workouts.

I know this doesn't answer the how many clients question, but if the goal is to get open this is a quick and easy way.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Paul,

No offense but you are asking the WRONG question....the RIGHT question is how many members do YOU need for your gym to be a successful business....and that is answered by:

- How big a space you want or have access to (sq ft costs)
- other utilities and monthly costs
- Equip up front costs
- Membership and Fees you will charge
- Profit you want to see each month

then you will know HOW many people YOU need for your business to be a success....it doesnt matter how many one place has if that number is not reached by you and doesnt fit your business model.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Michael Tong

Profile:
Just taking a stab at it...

Perhaps a ratio of square footage-to-clients would help. Instead of asking for an average (which no 1 affiliate can accurately answer), perhaps a cross sampling of affiliates could share:

1) what was your ratio on day 1 (garage or leased space)?
2) what is your ratio now (garage or leased space)?
3) what is the time period between day 1 and now?

Paul will have to figure out the cost because he's the only one who can determine whether his garage is suitable for his projected day 1 clientele, or decide he needs to lease. Plus, costs are going vary by locale anyways.

I am interested in the ratios, too.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Paul, that's a legitimate question. Actually, my original set-up was influenced a lot by CrossFit East's strategy of having a cluster of "micro-gyms" to work from.
My primary location is fairly small, but I have networked with a local boxing gym and another sports medicine clinic to do some joint training programs. That multiplied my square footage with almost no additional expense, and gave me access to more clients, too.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
The CFJ referenced above is Garage Gym 2, CFJ #35, July 2005. If you have questions about affiliation then email lauren@crossfit.com or customerservice@crossfit.com. They will send you a document explaining what they want from aspiring affiliates.