CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Clay Jones

Profile:

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on selecting bands for doing assisted pullups from IronWoody or any of the other companies out there. I'm 6'3" at 265#, and need some assistance with my pullups (been doing negatives only). With bands, I'd like to work in the range of 10-20 pullups after some practice (would be starting out at 5 reps or so). Any thought on which band I might try? I contacted IronWoody and they had no idea.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Clay,

I'd suggest going green or black for the Ironwoodies. Have you attempted any unassisted pull-ups yet. If you can get one, I'm guessing you'd be good for at least five on the green. If not, black will probably be the better option.

If you can afford it, you may want to buy two (green and blue maybe?). This would give you more options as far as resistance levels go (1. standing - one foot in each band, 2. kneeling - one knee in each band, 3. standing in one band, 4. kneeling in one band, etc., etc.).

Hope this helps,

Ryan

My two cents,

Ryan
Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Anyone ever used bands for squats, deads, etc.?? Just curious how that works, worth trying out, etc. Also, same thing with chains. Again, just wondering.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Thrusters w/chains = good times.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I've done squats with a band looped over my traps--that's a fun one. I might have to Tabata that soon...thanks for the reminder, Mike.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Donn Venema

Profile:

Clay,
An inexpensive alternative that's been previously mentioned on this board is the pallet bands from McMaster-Carr. For $12.00 plus shipping you can get a pair of their heaviest bands, 1.5" wide by 113" long. Depending on how you hang them from a pullup bar, and whether you use one or two, you can dial in a pretty good range of assistance. I weigh 185 and use these for assisted muscleups and for joint mobility work during warmup. I'd guess these would do just fine for a guy your size. The next size down is 3/4 x 112 (5 bands for $13) and would probably be the only other size that would offer significant assistance. Might be worth grabbing for later progression.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ 8848T32 is the item number of the heavy bands. Search for that and you'll get the page that shows what bands they offer.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
Clay Jones

Profile:

Ryan, thanks for the info--I can almost get one pullup now, so the black might be the best option, or maybe black and green.

Thrusters with chains--sounds like fun--if pain is your idea of fun, that is . . . :lol:

Donn, I forgot about the pallet bands, I'll look into those as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I shot-gunned this issue and just bought the "assisted pullup assortment pack" from Iron Woody. One each blue, green, black. I figure I'll always find some use for each. Just got them a few days ago, good quality stuff.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Glad to hear it Lincoln, I was going to order the CrossFit special they had on the site, looks like a good deal.

Unfortunately, they no longer seem to carry the 1 and 2K oly plates that I was planning on buying from them . . . . guess I'll have to get some from WerkSan.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Well, taking the cue on McMaster-Carr, I ordered a set of two of the heavy and a set of five of the other. Total price, shipped, was $30.33

Best part: I ordered on 12/7/2005.

They arrived today, 12/8/2005.

I tried to use the heavy, but it's just a bit too long to use undoubled, but too 'heavy' to get my feet up an into/band down and around if I double it over the door-jamb chin bar. if I had a slightly higher bar, I think it would work.

I used the thinner ones....doubled over the bar and it worked, but a challenge for me. I then tried it with 2 of these bands, both doubled. Worked great. I was able to do about 6 assisted pull-ups with these.

Very unusual feeling to be able to get my chin up and over the bar. :-)