CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-17-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Joe Miller

Profile:
I know my initial reaction to these things is that they are total scams, but this guy at my work swears he gets a great ab workout:

http://www.slendertone.tv/

I was just wondering if anyone here either had (a) any experience with these, or (b) knew anything about the science behind them?

Again, I'm actually embarassed to even post this because my initial reaction is that these are just pure junk. But if it works for Jerry Rice???

Personally I'm pretty happy with what L-sits are doing for my abs anyway, but, you know... I can't do L-sits "while doing the dishes or washing the car"...

Old 08-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
Michael Keller

Profile:
I think your intial reaction was correct. It's a shame that Jerry Rice would peddle stuff like this for $$.

I think I'll go do some L-sits.......
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Joe Miller

Profile:
Yes I should have been more clear that I have absolutely no interest in owning one of these machines. I was actually just wondering if anyone knew what exactly, physiologically, they "do". Surely they don't do nothing, but for some reason I doubt they do anything valuable either. Was just curious if anyone had any knowledge...
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
Funny how that webpage says absolutely nothing about how it works (or even how you use it).

So you just put it on in every morning and take it off at night, and 4-8 weeks later you has a 6-pack washboard like Jerry Rice?

Yeah, a total scam. Sure, Jerry Rice got the results he wanted: a fat paycheck for appearing on the box!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Probably a version of electro-stim, which only gets results for those who are pathetically out of shape. That concept has been around forever and has been clinically shown to get only very marginal results and even then only for out-of-shape people. To get enough electrical stimulation to make the muscles contract HARD, you'd need to turn up the voltage high enough to leave burn marks.

If your buddy at work is getting such a great ab workout, ask him to show you how long he can hold an L-sit... If he goes over 45 seconds, buy it.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Alex McClung

Profile:
Since I work in the regulatory world of medical devices, I'll take a swing at this one:

Electrical muscle stimulators are considered a medical device under federal regulation, and are indeed governed by FDA. In FDA's mind, the term "cleared" does not have the same meaning as "approved". The term "approved" implies that FDA endorses the product for a particular application or purpose. Products that are "cleared" follow a different regulatory pathway to market - a pathway that has been previously defined by a predicate, or similar device. Cleared devices rely on clinical data from the predicate device to make an indication claim. This particular device was cleared by the FDA in 2003 at:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf3/K030708.pdf

The clearance process at FDA confirms that the device is safe and efficaceous for the cleared indication, which you'll see in small print at the lower left margin of the ad. In FDA-speak, this indication means, "probably won't hurt you if you follow the instructions, and will tone and strengthen the abs of some users". The rest of this advertisement is marketing hype. Take for example, the statement "clinically proven results." There's nothing here about how these results were measured or what the fitness level was with the control group - that should tell you something. Because of the nature of this type of device, you can't really set up a placebo control in the trial either.

This device will probably deliver some sort of result to the general population. Compared to L-sits it's not even on the radar screen, but most of population isn't doing L-sits either.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 AM   #7
Joe Miller

Profile:
Thanks for the information Alex & Lincoln. For the record, I wasn't actually asking about this particular model, just these electric ab-zapping machines in general. I'm still confused by what exactly they do, but it looks like they actually do something useful for some people. Huh. Go figure.

On the down side, I feel like I've brought the quality of this whole message board down by even posting a question about this gizmo. Sorry. I'll go do some L-hangs in penance.