CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I want to buy kettlebells from USkettlebells, unless there is a cheaper way without having to try to build them myself.

If I buy two, then I will spend about $300.00 but I won't have to spend $200.00 now and $200.00 later.

Do most of you own two or just one, for those who own the an adjustable kettlebell?

Kris
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
I bought 2 54# kbs. I haven't regretted it. Having two for push press/jerks and c&j is very nice. Did you look at Gill Athletics: http://www.gillathletics.com/gillIte...rch=kettlebell

Their prices look quite good and from what I've read on the forum, they are a stand up company.

Best regards,
Bruce
Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Tom Needham

Profile:
I've heard that Gill Athletics gives you a 10-20% discount for CrossFitters too!

BUT, I think this is the best deal because of the free shipping (same KBs).... Set of 3 (16,24,32 kg) for $229 -- http://tinyurl.com/7ghbv
Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

Gill KBs suck.

Buy 2.

Again.

Bill
Old 08-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
I agree with Bill on this one. K2Fitness.net and Dragondoor.com may be expensive kettlebells, but both are well worth the investment. I have both.

It's just a price vs. quality issue. If you buy cheap 'bells, you will get a cheap product. IF, however, you are only using them for a few select exercises (swings, thrusters, and that's about it), Gill's shouldn't be much trouble for you.

If you plan to use them for a long time with a wide variety of exercises, make the investment.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Grady McDonald

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11852.html

I own gills, I like them, they suit my needs. I don't do alot of KB stuff. RKC's do. Dumbells are cheaper.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Kris Crowley

Profile:
One of the guys at my station knows one of the HMFICs at uskettlebells, but maybe I'll go with DD kettlebells.

What I need to work is work a butt-load of overtime so I can have a few thousand dollars to spend on crap.

I would also like to see what Lynne's opinion is on this topic, as I saw some link she had for an adjustable kettlebell, too.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Kris,

I would recommend Gill Kettlebells long before I would ever recommend anything that could potentially come apart. Grady's right, both Gill kbs and typical dbs are much cheaper, especially if you're not RKC bound and just want to use them for general stuff like just swings.

This is just me, but I like doing snatches, C&Js, and all forms of other overhead lifting with my kettlebells. I've heard horror stories about kettlestacks that have come apart before and during a workout. I have not heard of anyone being injured yet, but a shower of plates would definitely not make my day. It's best to stick with solid ones.

Again, this is completely anectdotal, and is just me. Lift hard; lift safe.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Kris,
I started with the PDA adjustables, as a cost saving measure. They are rock solid and well constructed. No fears, even with overhead work. But the stink for anything but swings. The square handles make cleans and snatches odd, and worse are the plates hitting your forearms. I haven't tried to snatch one since I bought solid kbs but I had some glorious bruises. Of course, I had no idea what I was doing, either. Maybe with good technique the bruising would be mitigated, but they would still not be great.

I have a couple of DDs and a few Gills. The Gill handles are thicker, and according to one of our resident RKCs, shaped somewhat differently than the DDs. For me, the fat handles are infinitely more annoying than their slightly flat profile.

You can't beat the Gills for cost, especially with the CrossFit discount. If you are going to pursue GS or really delve into high rep snatching, it might be worth the extra cost for the DDs.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
DD Kbs aren't THAT expensive. I mean, I've baught 9 of them and it's about the same price as my York Barbell and bumpers - and I can do everything I do with the barbell with KBs, except deadlift heavy.

Even being an RKC, I don't do most of the "RKC exercises". I use my KBs for swings, snatches (great great great for snatches) and for high rep clean and jerking. I'm kinda surprised that around here we only use 'em for swings when they're so good for C&J.

Oh and Turkish Getups, I'm surprised we don't see more of those on the WOD. TGUs on the other hand are WAY more fun with a barbell.