CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Marc Stoll

Profile:
For the front squat excercise in today's WOD (1-1-1-1-1-etc.), should the weight that I use be the same as I would for normal squats? Or do I use more or less? Sorry, I usually do not perform front squats so I'm not really sure.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
Chances are that you will need to go down in weight. The front squat is usually a few pounds lighter than the back. Start off light, maybe lighter than you would think, and go from there. Don't try to heave your regular squat weight around or you'll be asking for injury. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Joshua Bird

Profile:
I agree with Ian, front squats will be less than back squats. It's a good opportunity to use the seven sets to feel out where your at.
Also, I am noticing reading the WOD comments that many people's comments start out with the first set of the exercise being 60-75 lbs less than what they finish with! The way I approach these is that if my max is 225 or around that, I am not going to count a set at 150lbs towards the seven sets(unless a situation like above)! Save those for warmup! Seven sets near or at 1rm with 2-3 minutes rest in between is how I approach it. Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Joshua Bird

Profile:
Also, I notice this on alot of the max effort days, not just this one.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Ian Carver

Profile:
I am with you, Josh. I warm up at a low weight, find the point where the strain starts, and then incrementally start adding the poundage. Once this baseline has been established and recorded, all it takes is a warm up and then loading the bar up to the last starting point, or a tad more, and going from there.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Marc Stoll

Profile:
Awesome guys thanks for the tips... I haven't done a workout plan in about 4-5 months and I'm getting back into things, and let me tell you. Usually when I used to lift weights I never felt great after the workout (being an athlete and all I was used to the strain), but now after each crossfit workout, I am feeling awesome! I used to despise going to lift everyday, and thats when I switched to calisthenics only... but now I found this! I am excited to work out every day now, it feels really good.

Oh and by the way I started at like 145 for the first set and was up at around 180 when I finished. Thanks for the help guys! I sure can do a hell of a lot more when the bar is on my back!

(Message edited by Stolly on March 27, 2007)
Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Ryan Whitenack

Profile:
I am not sure where the idea for seven sets comes from, but I have been to Dan John's websites that discusses the benefits and practice of performing seven sets. I have taken his approach and I like it. It is very taxing, yet effective.
The athlete should warm up with lower weights and then start with a weight that is maybe around 80% of the max effort to be performed for the prescribed amount of reps (in this case 1). Do that first set and build up from there until the 4th set which should be your max effort for 1 rep. The 5th and 6th sets should be a dip down in weight to around what you did for the 2nd and 3rd set, and then your 7th and final set should be around what you did for the 4th set or even beyond that weight if you feel appropriate.
I have applied this to several of the 7 set workouts. It is great for 5s, an kicker on 3s, and terriffic for doing 1s. I ususally find I am either able to go up on that final set, or really focus on form.
For instance my 1 reps of front squat went like
205-215-230-245-225-240-245
Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
Travis Jones

Profile:
Ryan, Great information on the weight sequences for sets. I have not been exposed to that type of approach. I have been adding weight each lift trying to max out around 6 or 7. I will check out Dan John's websites. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Joshua Bird

Profile:
Thx for those tips Ryan...I may try that approach for tmmrw's power clean WOD