CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: Need advice on how to get started with my goals

How to pack it so it won't damage your back?

Don't know. I also suffer from back pain, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

We always packed our pack with what we would be using most often at the top, and the less significant items closer to the bottom. And you will most likely only be using an Alice pack while in bootcamp. I don't know if it has changed, but the standard issued pack is the MOLLE pack. It's a a lot different than the Alice pack. And it generally never weighed less than about 40lbs, except when we were short timers, and then we just packed our packs with our sleeping bags.

By the time I was getting out in mid 2008, they were no longer allowing us to use Alice packs. This may have been just a unit discretion thing, as many things are. And for what it's worth; a lot of Recon and Snipers I knew still used the ruck sacks.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Dave Reagan

Profile:

Im looking on lines of were to concentrate the weight, right now im using dumbells for weight and towels to fill out the pack, ive heard place the bulk of the weight at the top of the pack, ive heard at the bottom, ive heard in the radio pouch,

Towards the top would make sense to me, but like i said i dont know, and id like to do it as close to how they do it in bootcamp as possible.

Ill probably invest in sandbags soon for weight
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reagan View Post
One other thing i forgot to ask was about workouts involving ruck marches, i bought an alice pack with the frame a few weeks ago and wanted to maybe involve that in my workouts a little bit, im not sure exactly how to weigh it down, what to weigh it down with and how to pack it so i wont damage my back.
Look into getting this book for information on training up for long ruck marches.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Selected-S...7305441&sr=1-1 (links is wfs)

Written for Army SF candidates but there should be a lot of carryover for Marine Corps infantry.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Right now my lifts are: Bench-190 Squat- ~300 deadlift-245
There is no way you deadlift 245 and squat 300.

Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...7305800&sr=8-1 wfs

Now read it cover to cover, eat more, and start squatting to depth. Do some runs, pushups, sit ups, etc to stay sharp and you will be fine.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
Dave Reagan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
There is no way you deadlift 245 and squat 300.
If you seen my deadlift form youd know why, we had a football coach who made us do squats everyother day,

and i probably didnt attempt a "dead lift" until about 2 months ago, which ended up more as a half romanian deadlift, half awkward back twisting thing.

Like i mentioned before i want to get my forms downs good and get back into olympic lifting.

You should have seen my "attempt" at a barbell snatch...
Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
If you seen my deadlift form youd know why, we had a football coach who made us do squats everyother day,

and i probably didnt attempt a "dead lift" until about 2 months ago, which ended up more as a half romanian deadlift, half awkward back twisting thing.

Like i mentioned before i want to get my forms downs good and get back into olympic lifting.

You should have seen my "attempt" at a barbell snatch...
I believe you, but you should see a lot of progress in your dead now that you are working them.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

In bootcamp you'll pack your pack as they say. Any different and it'll probably end up all over the squad bay.

When you get in to the fleet, however, pack it as you like. But we generally kept less important items at the bottom, as they didn't needed to be accessed as much.

Spare cammies, socks, underwear, and what not were usually at the bottom. Chow and water was probably on top of that. Mission/training essential equipment would be on top of that. Hygiene gear and things like batteries and other small, useful, items were usually in the outer pouches. Sleeping bag and iso mat on the outside.

Depending on your MOS, this may or may not be helpful. But keep in mind that ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain. When you do humps that start before the sun comes up until after the sun goes down, you'll know what I mean.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

not trying to be mean, but you aren't going to be ahead of the game until about the end of your first deployment. Then it will start coming together for you as a marine and future leader. You need to be smart and have good decision making skills more than have a 400 lb deadlift.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You'll be using an ILBE pack at boot camp. There are a few other pack designs in the works because the ILBE is near-worthless and has lots of flaws, but that's the standard issue pack for boot camp and fleet units these days.

As for packing it, yeah you'll have to do it like your DIs say, but generally you want heavy stuff at the bottom of it.

Your run times are going to put you in the top 5% of recruits, actually probably in the top 5% of Marines in general. Spend some time getting bigger and stronger--as long as you keep doing some conditioning, you can get bigger and stronger without ruining your run time. But cutting back on some of the endurance work will probably be necessary for you to make much progress. Find someone experienced who can help teach you the lifts if you're worried about form.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #20
Dave Reagan

Profile:

Yea im not too worried about losing anything with my runs, even on my worst days i usually can get a sub 9min 1.5 mile. But when i start track in about a month i end up doing at least 50 mins everyother day of long distance cardio so im worried that im not going to be able to put any mass on, it does give me more time in weight room though with a coach who knows the lifts. So if i were to calculate how many calories i was burning through the day and in the long runs and then compensated by consuming an extra amount, i would estimate around 5-6000 calories, would i be able to put on more muscle while still doing my running program?