CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Len Linkus

Profile:  
Hello,

I just started doing One Arm Dumbbell Snatchs. I have been starting the movement from the floor to overhead. I do not seem to be getting under the weight much, if that is required.

I am currently one arm snatching 100lbs each side. I am 6'8" and 265lbs (lean). I only have dumbbells up to 135, so I will integrate the olympic bar when I reach my max (I think that the balance wont be too much of an issue). I was thinking that a bodyweight snatch would be do able in the future, does anyone here know if the super heavyweights can one arm snatch their bodyweight?

I was wondering if there are any good videos that you know of with someone doing a one arm snatch with heavy weights. I found one with a 150lb dumbbell, but would like to see more. the guy does not get under the weight, similar to what I have been doing.

the video I saw was
http://www.pinnaclestrength.com/imag...atch_150x5.AVI
Old 12-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I don't have any vids to offer, but just from personal experience, start playing with the barbell now. Dumbbells are easier to control, and the bar takes a little more practice. Strength/stability in the hand and wrist seem to be the limiting factors for me, but after reading your intro that might not be as much of an issue for you.

I find that I don't get down nearly as low with a 1-arm snatch, either, compared to a regular snatch.

*Just for comparison, my max db snatch was about 130# at one point (haven't had access to db heavier than 100# for a while), but the heaviest 1-arm barbell snatch I've done is about 100. But, I also haven't really attempted to improve it--guess I've got a new goal to work on!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Skipp Benzing

Profile:
I have a lifter that I coach named Max Mormont who is lifting in the American Open this weekend in the 105K weight class and he can perform a barbell one arm snatch at 75K and has a snatch PR of 135K. You will need very good flexibilty to be able to catch it low but it can be done. The barbell is much more dificult than a D.B. but the balance and coordination can be gained with practice. Once you have the form most should be able to perform over half of their regular snatch because of a phenomenon termed bilateral deficit. Good luck with your training
Old 12-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:
a good place to get a general idea on how your weight compares is:

http://danjohn.org/goldsilver.html

The standards seem tough, to me. I'm not sure if the one arm snatch listed is with a long bar or a dumbbell.

That's the only video I've seen. In slow-mo, it looks like early arm bend, an afliction I also suffer from...
Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

I like one hand snatches and when going heavy the olympic bar is the best thing. The balance isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

George Hackenschmidt, John Davis, and Arthur Saxon were all in the 200-210 range on the one hand snatch. Alexeyev one hand snatched 231. That would be right around bodyweight for Saxon, 30 pounds or so less than bodyweight for Davis and Hackenschmidt, a lot less than bodyweight for Alexeyev.

Without a doubt, any bodyweight one hand snatch is super strong, but at 265 it would be phenomenal.

(Message edited by ccrow on December 02, 2005)
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
One hand snatches are great fun!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Len Linkus

Profile:  
Thanks for your posts guys. My short term goal is to get to half body weight snatch with dumbbell. then either get some olympic dumbbells or thick handle olympic dumbbells. In addition to training the standard olympic bar.

-I have been working out outside lately, and it is hard. the windchill yesterday was -1 degree F. and their is snow on the ground making it harder.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Skipp, looks like your boy done good at the American Open. Gutsy moves in the jerk, missing the opener and going up in weight for the next lift anyway. My buddy Dave "Chip" Kent lifted in the same session. He was stuck at 110 in the snatch for the longest time, looks like he's fixed that problem with a 125 snatch.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
Skipp Benzing

Profile:
Lincoln,

Thanks. I was very happy with how Max performed at the American Open. It was the first big meet that we have been to. On the first jerk he wasn't used to the judges being so strict and he had a small pressout. He knew what he did wrong right after the lift so we decided to go up just a couple of Kilos on the next lift. He also made a great attempt at 175 and got the clean but got a little dizzy and didn't have much left for the jerk. It was a great time and fun learning experience for both of us. It was also my first time counting warm up attempts at a bigger meet so that was a little crazy but Coach B. gave me some good tips before I left that helped out a lot.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yeah, Coach B. is good like that!