CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Brooks Kubik wrote a fair bit about these bottom position squats in his Dinosaur Training. I did all my squats from saw horses while I was at uni, it makes it much harder.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Pavel and others have expressed skepticism regarding how well this carries over to the ability squat down and up. I did these for a while and saw little carryover to my back squat; the dead-stop back squat max came up almost to the down-and-up back squat, but the down-and-up squat didn't go up. I did see complete deadlift maintenance despite not doing any deadlifting.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:25 AM   #13
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
are we talking the DEAD SQUAT?
if so Pavel talks about this squat in beyond bodybuilding. page 73
according to Pavel advantages = keeps you honest, and is the ultimate in muscle tension.
negatives = does not build as much leg size as traditional up and down squats.
dead squats do not teach YOu to store tension on the way down so you will not improve your regular up and down squat without specific practice.

check out this vid of bud jefferies dead squatting 1000. http://strongerman.com/images/Bud_1000lbs_lift.mpg
Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #14
Brian Hand

Profile:

If you build strength with the bottoms up squat, the strength gain involves muscle or nerve or possbily both.

If you add some muscle, some basic strength in the muscles of the posterior chain, it is going to carry over to just about every type of squat or deadlift to some degree.

If your strength gain comes from developing the nervous system to handle this challenge - you really just gain skill in squatting bottoms up - it may carry over to other dead stop / bottoms up movements, like deadlifts, but won't carry over to regular squats. Maybe that's what happened to Steve.

If you do all bottoms up squats for a while, you may gain basic strength but lose the skill of reversing a descending weight, and your regular squat may suffer. But once you regain that skill, the muscle / basic strength you built doing the bottoms up squats should carry over very well.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Stephen
The last thing I need is to build more leg size. :-)

Dan John comes to mind here. "all training is complementary"
I guess dead stops will have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not training to be a powerlifter though, and dont necessarily need the neural conditioning that is provided by strictly moving weight down and up. After reading a bit, and listening to a few guys opinions, I've no doubt it would be a good idea to throw these in once a month or so.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #16
Ben Krey

Profile:

Just thinking out loud here, but isn't the clean part of the olympic clean&jerk going from the bottom up? When I backsquat, I try to keep the same posture & motion of the clean.
Also do stop squats.

I think as long as you get really tight before coming up, that kind of squat would have definite functional benefit... as do most things that are difficult.