CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Roger Smith

Profile:
Imperfection training: he might be doing a round back because it's simular motion to stone lifting and odd object lifting.

Muscular: That was about Ronnie Coleman, yeah, I think he has more muscle than anyone including most gorillas...Unreal size...
Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
Don Stevenson

Profile:
The idea behind practicing to lift with a rounded back is that some of the strongman events require you to DL with a rounded back so it's a good idea to learn how to do it safely.

Ie you practice an imperfect form but do so in a controlled environment where it is less likely you'll get hurt before you go out and try to lift a 200kg round stone that enforces a rounded back on you.

Another form of imperfection training is to do rotational deadlifts and squats. Most people would say that rotating the spine during a DL is a bad idea but in a lot of situations in fire, police, military work you can't choose the placement of your feet relative to the object you are lifting and therefore sometimes it is impossible to line up like you would a gym DL.

If i'm hauling my 250lb buddy out of a crashed helicopter etc I might have to DL, drag him out at an angle.

Therefore you train in a compromised position to learn how to do it as safely as possible
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
Brian Hand

Profile:

I'm pretty sure he's rounding his back on purpose. Note that he's also standing on blocks. He has won the WSM and he's from Finland for pete's sake so I think it's safe to assume he knows quite a bit about deadlifting form. In Finland they have deadlift class in middle school like we used to have shop and home economics here in the USA.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Jouko Ahola is a very strong man, nobody could ever deny that.
There is an awful lot more to Strongman competitions than than just simply deadlifting though. I've said before, that often times, the winner of a competition, isnt necessarily the man with the greatest limit strength, but rather the best athlete.

This short video is not even close to being representative of just how strong Jouko is.

A little perspective though.

Bill Kazmaier was routinely DL'ing 800lbs plus, in the early 80's.
The Westside gym won't even look at you sideways unless you can DL better than 800lbs.
Off an 18 inch platform, and admittedly easier than lifting it out of the hole, I've seen "regular" guys lift better than 800lbs.

The issue at hand here for me was not the lift, or his form. Not even close!!

The sudden and uncontrolled bleeding from the nose, bothered me.
This tells me that, as with most sports, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than what most people like to admit.

Some of you will no doubt think that I am over reacting. Fine.

Sudden, uncontrolled bleeding from the nose is NOT NORMAL.

Comments??

Agree/disagree??

Old 11-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #15
Roger Smith

Profile:
As for lots of "things" involved..it's that way in all sports. No big deal IMO....

As for the bleeding. It might not be a big issue. I've had it happen, with a lot less weight than that. Usually dry air is a contributing factor as well as valsava manuver (spelling is way off).

I wonder how a strongman would do with crossfit. There is definatley a strength/aerobic elimate in there sport. They would probbably do pretty well?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #16
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Agreed,Many acumulated causes possibly high blood pressure evalated by certain supplements.
But not my aim for a "Fit" or "Healthy" Body condition.
Not taking anything away from those that choose this discipline.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #17
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Roger
If winning at any/all costs, including those that are detrimental to your health, is okay with you, knock yourself out then bro.

Me, I prefer to compete on a level playing field, and hopefully compete for a long time.

Sure, a bloody nose "could" be from the dry air, but lets be honest with ourselves. This was very obviously a maximal effort for this man. In my books, it wasn't a triple, it wasnt even a double, it was two singles. The third lift would not have been judged completed.

With drugs, unfortunately, after awhile its no longer about the competitive spirit. Its about who has the best drugs/technology and who is willing to do the heaviest doses for the longest cycles.

I do agree with you Roger that there is a huge Strength/Metabolic factor in Strongman events, but as far as these men doing well in Crossfit, Im not so sure. Most of them are simply carrying too much bodyweight to have anything resembling speed, required for so many of the workouts.

Andrew
I agree, bleeding from the nose while lifting maximal weights, does not qualify one for a fit or healthy body.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #18
Roger Smith

Profile:
For me drugs arn't ok, but IF I had a chance to be pro ie not have to work for a living, I wouldn't give it a second though...

Nose bleeds however, in heavy lifting are often not connected to drug use or high blood pressure (when not lifting). I've had the problem quite a few time and the was no drug use. My blood pressure is actually low (my cholesterol is another story....). My worst bleed was when overhead pressing, but that was caused by the bar coming down a bit too close...lot of blood that time LOL.....
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #19
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Steve
You got any links to the westside gym? I am fascinated.
As to drug use. Cheating sucks. Hell I have trouble convincing myself that supplementing creatine would be okay (have been off of it for over a year), I would hate to have to say that 'yeah while I am strong, I take a lot of drugs which help...'
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 AM   #20
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Some good examples of why you might want to practice rounded back deadlifting here

http://rapidshare.de/files/7803369/U...tion2.WMV.html

If you don't know how to download with Rapidshare, here is how.

1)Click Link
2)Scroll down all the way
3)Click "Free"
4)Wait like 30 seconds
5)Right Click "Save Link As"
6)Turn your speakers up and Enjoy!