CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Mike Quirk

Profile:
Overhead Squat

Why is this so hard? I can do back and front squats okay and feel good about my gains there, and can do all the overheads I want with a dowel, but as soon as I try it with a 45# bar, my back stiffens up and I can barely go down with cocking my knee out and the whole thing is pretty ugly.

Is it a simple issue of too much weight? 45 lbs just doesn't seem like all that much. My back is very stiff doing this, could it be a flexibility issue?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Dave Hancock

Profile:
Re: Overhead Squat

How wide is your grip? It should be a snatch width grip. Are you keeping the bar over your shoulders, or is it drifting forward? If its a shoulder flexibility issue, shoulder dislocates will help. When perfoming the lift, keep your arms straight and your shoulders to your ears.

If possible, video yourself doing the lift.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Jason M Struck

Profile:

yes.

your CNS will freeze up after your body tells it you can't balance because you can't get the bar back far enough (grip or shoulders) or hips low enough (hips/hams/IP/calfs/ankles).

does it feel like everything is fine until about half way down everything just freezes, and you can't go lower, even if you wanted to?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Dave Parmly

Profile:

He sounds JUST like me! I asked on this last month and the advice y'all gave me was great. Shoulder dislocates, OHS with a dowel during warm-up and keep working on shoulder strength. I can do 2 with a 45# bar now. Woot! (Isn't it funny me saying "woot" for such a weenie accomplishment? Oh well...attack your weakness I always say.)
Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Wade Smith

Profile:

Keep working on shoulder flexibility. It'll come. When it comes, it comes fast since strength isn't the issue. Once you've got the flexibility and balance, you will progress quickly.

One warmup exercise I do along with the CFWU including band dislocates is that I get on the gravitron and simply swing back and forth 15-20 times or so both with pronated then supinated grips. I usually select an offset weight of 70 in order to keep it a flexibility exercise rather than strength (ie; kipping pullup) exercise.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Chris Butner

Profile:

In the early stages of this type of OH work was difficult for me. My shoulders were fairly weak, and my shoulder flexibility not so good. So if your shoulders are not that strong work on making them stronger. Do some shoulder flexibility each time you head to your gym space to work out. When you do put the bar OH for a squat, or whatever. Like they said above. Grip should be just like snatch grip. The bar should actually fall behind your shoulders. It will render behind shoulders, but in front of butt. Once I got stronger shoulders, and better flexibility. I was able to do it. It feels real good once you get to that point. That type of OH work feels very empowering. I'm at about 85 lbs now myself. Which may not seem like much weight, but six months ago I could barely do it with light weights. You'll get it just keep up the practice. Once you have it you will progress quickly.