CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
hi folks--I was reading Dan John's One lift A Day article last night and it seems to fit really well with my current goals (increase pull up numbers, DL and squat weights). I was thinking I might take 3-4 weeks away from crossfit and give it a whirl. Has anyone done this program all the way through. What were your experiences/results? In exercise selection, I am thinking about using OHS as opposed to standard back squats. All feedback welcome!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

I have done it for a stretch here and there. You could do say, Mon. back squat, Tue. Pullups, Wed. overhead squat, and Fri. DLs. Doing some extra workouts to maintain other aspects of fitness and/or to speed up recovery will round things out nicely.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
that's kind of what i had lurking in my mind too. thanks for the suggestion. did your weights go up when you went back to regular crossfit workouts?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I'd recommend keeping a couple of the met-con WODs per week. I haven't done the OLAD protocol, but I've drifted away from pure Crossfit a couple times to focus on powerlifting or Olympic lifting. I came back stronger but with much worse conditioning. For whatever reason, that seems to go faster than other areas of fitness.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Why not try the Max-Effort Blackbox that was mentioned in P-menu issue #3. From the looks of it, Mike Rutherford, Josh Everett and Robb Wolf have all had pretty good results with it. You can check out that issue here:

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/catalo...products_id=32
Old 12-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Dan John himself recommended a "One Lift" program alternating with a Crossfit WOD. Which is probably very close to the Black Box ME stuff.

Or, you could do a one lift then a WOD. Or a WOD in the morning and work on a lift at night.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Rene Renteria

Profile:
The WOD has been pretty close to the ME Black Box program lately, at least through December and most of November. Maybe you could put in another lift on these go-heavy days?

Robb Wolf earlier somewhere mentioned that Coach Glassman had indicated that a little more pure strength work could be added; I guess the idea is that it can be done without too much damage to metabolic conditioning. I would suspect we're in such a trial period. Not sure how long it will last, but I would expect a slew of the named benchmark workouts after a few cycles of this to see what happens to times. Just a guess.

Also, it has been said that the new CrossFitters that seem to do best come with a good base of strength. Endurance-types do worse and take longer to catch up. It may be easier to add your own runs or sprints or whatever if you need more endurance training than it is to add your own max strength training to address weaknesses.

I had just started my own ME BB when I started running into WODs that were strength oriented, so I would replace those with the met-con ones I had missed.

(Now I'm just missing WODs period with too much work, too little rest, and a cold. Wah. Bring on the holidays!)

Merry Christmas!
Rene'
Old 12-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
A lift + WOD is my favourite but hard to sustain unless diet is solid, sleep is good etc. I'm sure your numbers will go up following the one lift a day program. I don't know where you're at though...I'd do the program as prescribed with the exercises of your choice first, then next time you want to do it you'll know whether or not you'll need to do extra metabolic stuff. Basics first.

Regarding the OHS, it may increase your back and front squat numbers by teaching you to squat properly rather than increasing your leg strength which is good if you want usefull strength.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses, guys!
Maybe I will try a little 1/2 volume, met-con "lite" a couple times a week and see how it goes.

"I don't know where you're at though"
right now I am at 14 pull ups, a very sloppy 225# max DL. when i did "Nancy" back in June I did it with 95#. I am a little nervous to go too heavy on OHS, though, because I have nowhere to bail if I fail.
Limiting factor on diet and sleep is work. Sleep is a crap shoot if I am at work. Otherwise, it's lights out early. Diet is generally good with a few holiday treats thrown in. I'm eating somewhere around 17+blocks and I've been experimenting with IF.
Hope that helps clarify a bit and thanks again for all the suggestions!
My next stop is PM to pick up issue #3!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Dan John

Profile:

Dan John thinks Dan John is a fool and Dan John knows Dan John.

Sorry, I was watching a local famous basketball player and got confused...

Steve has it exactly right...

I know I have written about this extensively here, but here is the new "format"

Day One: Snatch (Example)
Day Two: Crossfit
Day Three: Clean and Jerk
Day Four: Rest
Day Five: Crossfit
Day Six: Front Squat
Day Seven: Crossfit
Day Eight: Rest
Repeat...