CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Supplements

My view (this came up with creatine -- "you'll lose your gains when you stop taking it!") is that yes, if I'm forced to abandon my various supplements, it will probably hurt my performance or health (if it didn't, there's no point in taking them!). But it won't end up worse than it would be if I hadn't taken them to begin with, so I might as well take the advantage as long as I can have it.

The only possible negative, aside from cost, is if that psychological blow of losing some of your ability when you're stuck on a desert island is just crippling. But I hope we're resilient enough to deal with that.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #22
Evan Harrison

Profile:

Thx for the After Shock suggestion. I really like it.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #23
Matt Thomas

Profile:

John - It'd be awesome if you took that to its maximum conclusion and actually trained like that. Just be going about your day and have your wife or someone spring your workouts on you at a random time each day. You sit down for a nice breakfast but nope "five rounds of this for time GO!" Hey it'd be more realistic than setting aside two hours in the middle of the day at the same time to train.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #24
David Wallach

Profile:

If CEE or an NO supplement permits more work in less time, heavier loads forcing a greater neuro-endo response and greater forced adaptation, then all the merrier.

... if all of those good things happen, you will be considerably farther down the path than if you didnt go the 'better fitness through chemicles' pathway, and more likely than not will be better off for having taken them even if you do discontinue the chronic admin.

The only real question I suppose is how much crap can we dump into our systems and not raise the likelyhood of cancers and/or irreperable kidney and liver damage? No one has and no one will pay the coin for double blind studies on l-analyl-glutamine-dipeptide and the like to see how it affects HEALTHY people, so we will never know the payload of some of the crap that gets sold in 'healthfood' stores. There are NO laws that regulate how much Unidentifiable Matter you are permitted to have in dietary supplements. That coupled with the fact that almost all the raw powders come from factories in china, give me the shakes from the get go. If you can find a supp company willing to give you a copy of the assays of their raw product? BUY FROM THEM! (Anafit is one I know of, I dont know any others...)

If you took all the performance enhancers available over that counter that had anecdotal evidence of increasing output or recovery, you wouldnt have any room left for food! You just have to consider risk/reward, i guess.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #25
Justin Shipley

Profile:

regarding protein supplementation, in my experience, most people going down that route tend to grossly overestimate the amount of protein they require. you can satisfy the body's needs very easily,cheaply and safely with real food.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Bobby Reay

Profile:

Little late in replying. I just use a post workout protein shake. Optimum one makes a gainer that doesn't have sugar in it. Just high in carbs and protein. I also put a teaspoon of L Glutamine in my shake. I take fish oil, a mens multi vitamin, and glucosamine everyday also. Seems to all work well.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #27
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

holy 3 year bump...
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #28
Rowan Minnion

Profile:

In the past I have tried quite a few products. I try to keep it clean though and stay away from complex mixtures.

The only ones I have found to work are protein and Creatine... protein simply makes me feel better after training. Creatine almost instant strength gains. I did put on muscle weight too and my sprint speed slowed slightly. Worth noting.

Now I take HMB and Creatine, but only because of my job. In any case, I think you should always research supplements thoroughly before taking them. Loads have additives and fillers to make them taste better or smell better. I dont like putting unknown chemicals into my body. You wouldn't spray a steak with a chemical.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
Rob Little

Profile:

We physically cannot consume enough food to provide the nutrients our body needs every day. Especially when I am trying to lose the body fat and recover from a workout. So, I take a really good multivitamin, fish oil, concentrated phytonutrient (antioxidant for recovery), and whey protein. After researching a lot of companies 10+ years ago I choose the Nutrilite Corp. because they have the only 100% natural plant based organic supplements since 1934!
I was so impressed with the results and how I felt I started working with the company as an Independent Rep. The rest is healthy history.

Here is more information about what I take:
SPAM

ROB
SPAM
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #30
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

i watched a video on Josh Everett (you should know who he is) showing his supplement routine. it included things like Fish oil, Creatine, beta-alanine, MSM glucosamine, too many other things to name. he only steers clear of most bodybuilding formulas simply because he is drug tested as a Reebok sponsored athlete.

im deep in the food camp, but every athlete is looking for that edge. and things like creatine and beta-alanine are proven to work.