CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Fran

The girl with a simple name is such a devil in disguise!

Last night our affiliate's WOD was Fran. I'd only done it once before about 5 weeks ago and that time I finished it in 10:03. This time I wanted to go under 8:00, and I finished in 7:52.

I should be happy because I beat my goal but I had to take so many breaks, mostly on Thrusters, that I was disappointed.

Oh well -- an improvement of better than 2:00 minutes in about 5 weeks of training is a good thing, right?

I have a lot of work to do to get that time down -- need lots of work on my Thruster endurance.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Fran

Great work Sean. I'd say a 21% improvement in 5 weeks is awesome. It took me close to a year to even get to the point of doing Fran as rx'd.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Richard Hoar

Profile:

That's still a pretty good improvement Sean. But now you have the drive to improve even more next time.

Question though. You mentioned you had some trouble with the thrusters. Was it more endurance or strength? I'm hoping that all the olympic lifting Rudy & Casey have been having us doing will shave some significant time off my score. Personally, I was barely strong enough to do a 95 lb. thruster when we did Fran for the first time, but it was markedly more manageable when we did them on Wednesday as part of the triple crown. On the endurance side, 21 thrusters to start off with in that first round is definitely a handful, so I understand the body breaking down towards the end of that round.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hoar View Post
That's still a pretty good improvement Sean. But now you have the drive to improve even more next time.

Question though. You mentioned you had some trouble with the thrusters. Was it more endurance or strength? I'm hoping that all the olympic lifting Rudy & Casey have been having us doing will shave some significant time off my score. Personally, I was barely strong enough to do a 95 lb. thruster when we did Fran for the first time, but it was markedly more manageable when we did them on Wednesday as part of the triple crown. On the endurance side, 21 thrusters to start off with in that first round is definitely a handful, so I understand the body breaking down towards the end of that round.
Thanks, Richard.

I also thought I'd be set for Fran given all the thruster work we had lately.

Strength didn't seem to be an issue. I say that because I didn't "fail" so to speak, but I was simply so winded that I had to take breaks. If I remember correctly, I made it through the round of 21 thrusters fine, one break in the round of 21 pull-ups, but I think I had 3 long-ish breaks in the 15 thrusters and 1 longish break before and 1 during the 9 thrusters.

It is just gonna take more work!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Good job!

I'm going to try Fran some time soon. I plan to break it up into three sets for each exercise with pre-defined rest times. I'm thinking ten or fifteen seconds rest each set for a Fran total of 3 to 4 1/2 minutes of rest + exercise execution time. It would at least get me under 10 minutes.

Here's hoping!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Nice job, Sean. I've done Fran three times and have had significant improvements each time. Besides the WOD, I believe there are some keys that have helped get my time down.

First, the Zone.

Second, I do thrusters at least once every couple weeks, sometimes more. If they don't come up in the WOD, do some ME thrusters, e.g. 10 sets of 2. Weighted pullups also make a big difference.

Third, don't rack the weight on the bar to rest. Someone once posted that an athlete rests about 15 seconds each time the bar is racked. Rack it on your shoulders, take three to five deep breaths, and go again.

Fourth, and most profound, is a comment I read from a poster (don't remember who). "You don't need to rest as long as you think you need to rest." That's powerful stuff. You can rest until a) you've recovered and are ready to go again, b) you've recovered to the point you can squeeze out a few more reps, or c) you've recovered just enough that you're not about to spray projectile vomit all over the platform. No matter which one you pick, you're going to feel like hell when it's over. Might as well get there faster, right?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Fourth, and most profound, is a comment I read from a poster (don't remember who). "You don't need to rest as long as you think you need to rest." That's powerful stuff. You can rest until a) you've recovered and are ready to go again, b) you've recovered to the point you can squeeze out a few more reps, or c) you've recovered just enough that you're not about to spray projectile vomit all over the platform. No matter which one you pick, you're going to feel like hell when it's over. Might as well get there faster, right?
Classic!

I love it!

Now, if I can only try to live by it.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Sean,
I have been playing around with CrossFit Challenge #2, 21 DB Thrusters with DB's totalling half BW.

I put up 17 on Sunday with 2 60 pounders at a BW of 235. My right arm failed miserably at 18 and the DB bounced off the plyo box and back at me.

I am a month or so away from the challenge, I hope, and I think that rythm is the key. when I lose my "stroke" it all goes to crap.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Frank-
Do you find that the db (and presumably kb) thrusters help you with the full bar thrusters?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Wear a watch. Honestly, that helped me keep going in my last Fran. The timer is what grades you, so time your rest periods with it as well. Commit to a single plan of attack with sets and rest times all predetermined. Let the timer govern your workout.

Probably not something I could have done a month ago, when I was just beginning to use the CF metcons, but it worked great just a while ago, and with better pullup endurance, I think I could go a lot faster!