CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Colin Andridge

Profile:
Get big enough to compete!!

Hey all my name is Colin and I've been CFing for 3 months now. I've all ready seen huge gains, I couldn't even perform Fran with 75 lbs when I first started and was finally able to Rx it!!(in 8:15 :/). My problem is that I weight 142 at 70 inches and competing weights are much to heavy. My CFT is 640(press, deadlift,squat) or 410(clean, bench press, OHS) idk which it is cause I've seen both now, squats are really lacking:/ only 190 on back squat.

My goal is to reach a weight of 185 By the 2015 open, and put on about 10 pounds every 6 weeks starting now. For the past 3 weeks I've stuffed my face with at least 3000 calsa day and I haven't added a single pound! Im frustrating quickly and I feel like I should stop CF until my base strength is higher so that I can compete.

Really in need of some innovative advice

Thanks all
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
Shawn Mullins

Profile:
Re: Get big enough to compete!!

How tall are you Colin? It's tough to match up an image without that. I mean someone like Chris Spealler is 5'5 and weights in around 150. I also know some guys in the box I go to who are in the 150-165lbs range and anywhere from 5'5 to 5'10 but are strong as hell.

Also how old are you? and is this the first program you've ever been a part of? How many days a week are you doing metcons?

Putting on 40lbs of muscle is no easy task. Your body can probably pull in about .5lbs of muscle a week and you bet fat is going to come along with it. To gain size you have to be taking in a surplus of calories.

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/page...menu=nutrition

Check out that post on CFFB. It's a good post on nutrition for guys who want to add some size. Also it's a good program to follow overall for strength work.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

You need to get on a strength program. Look into GLSP, 5/3/1, CFFB...they're all good. If you wanna put on that kind of weight you're gonna have to set the metcons aside for a while and lift heavy 3-4 times a week.

www.liftbigeatbig.com (WFS) is a good resource too.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Colin Andridge

Profile:

I'm 5'10" and a ripe 20 years old. Yes this has been the first completely crossfit program I've taken on although ive been playin around with it for almost ayear since my dad got a garage gym. For the last couple years I've been one of those meat heads at the gym just throwing around weight.

I also am contracted in the army with ROTC so I have to 3 workouts on M/Tues/W in the morning. Unfortunately for me all three of these workouts are 90% endurance workouts with lots of running, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I end up sweating my a** off without feeling any real workout :/

My schedule is...
Mon/tues
Morning muscle endurance workout
At the box I start with a strength workout followed by a metcon

Wed
At the box 12 100 meter rows with 30 seconds of static abs

Thurs/Fri/Sat
Strength workout followed by circuit(thur) Or a metcon(Fri/Sat)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Can you tell us what you mean by strength workout? A lot of times people do randomly planned exercises with random rep schemes for their strength work.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Colin Andridge

Profile:

Sure here's what an avg strength workout schedule for a week would be.

Monday
Press/push press 5-5-3-3-3-1-1
Superset with some sort of row

Tuesday
5x5 front or back squat
5x3 box 40' box jumps

Thursday
Bench press 5-5-3-3-3-1-1

Friday
Heavy dead lift, rep scheme varying from 8x1 to 5x3

Most the time there is an oly lift before or after, or oly lifting is inthe metcon
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Sebastian Soffici

Profile:

If your squats are lacking, check out the 20 squat program. There are variations, but the way I do it is 20 front squats unbroken, then you throw it ito your back rack and do 20 unbroken. This will improve your squats greatly. I have already seen improvements
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Kristopher Shifler

Profile:

Colin, I'm a newb to crossfit as well (10 days), but I started lifting again about a year ago. Twice during this past year I've done Bill Starr's intermediate 5x5 program and I had excellent results both times. It focuses on big lifts. I did 9 weeks of it before starting CrossFit and I haven't had any issues with the prescribed weights (reps and speed are killing me). I'm you're height exactly, but considerably heavier (170 lbs). At your age I probably weighed about the same as you, I'm 36 now.

At the end of my last 5x5 I was squatting 420 for 5 reps, benching 310 for 4 reps, and deadlifting 380 for 4 reps. I'm not winning any powerlifting meets, but I had a solid foundation of strength for starting CrossFit. Here's link to the program -> http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Andridge View Post
Hey all my name is Colin and I've been CFing for 3 months now. I've all ready seen huge gains, I couldn't even perform Fran with 75 lbs when I first started and was finally able to Rx it!!(in 8:15 :/). My problem is that I weight 142 at 70 inches and competing weights are much to heavy. My CFT is 640(press, deadlift,squat) or 410(clean, bench press, OHS) idk which it is cause I've seen both now, squats are really lacking:/ only 190 on back squat.

My goal is to reach a weight of 185 By the 2015 open, and put on about 10 pounds every 6 weeks starting now. For the past 3 weeks I've stuffed my face with at least 3000 calsa day and I haven't added a single pound! Im frustrating quickly and I feel like I should stop CF until my base strength is higher so that I can compete.

Really in need of some innovative advice

Thanks all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Andridge View Post
I'm 5'10" and a ripe 20 years old. Yes this has been the first completely crossfit program I've taken on although ive been playin around with it for almost ayear since my dad got a garage gym. For the last couple years I've been one of those meat heads at the gym just throwing around weight.

I also am contracted in the army with ROTC so I have to 3 workouts on M/Tues/W in the morning. Unfortunately for me all three of these workouts are 90% endurance workouts with lots of running, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I end up sweating my a** off without feeling any real workout :/

My schedule is...
Mon/tues
At the box I start with a strength workout followed by a metcon

Wed
At the box 12 100 meter rows with 30 seconds of static abs

Thurs/Fri/Sat
Strength workout followed by circuit(thur) Or a metcon(Fri/Sat)
you have answered some of your own question in knowing that you need to gain weight and get stronger. i think that is certainly correct. some really good news is that your age you can make some great gain quickly! the bad news is that your current diet and training aren't going to work.

you need to eat more. how much more? don't ask. the answer is MORE! at your age and activity level, 3000 is probably not enough for maintenence, much less gaining. it is certainly not stuffing your face. most 20 year old guys trying to get big and strong can eat that at a meal. i know i did at 20. double your food intake and make sure you get at least 200g of protein a day. the other calories can come from carbs, fat, more protein, whatever. eating healthy is good, but trying to eat too "clean" makes gaining weight hard. you didn't list a daily diet so it's hard to know, but 3000 calories a day is not going to cut it.

as for your training, if the goal is to get strong and gain weight, then choose a program designed for that. at your level i would recommend GSLP or CFFB, personally i would go with GSLP considering the other stuff you have going on. you are also going to have to seriously cut back on other conditioning work - circuits, metcons, WODs, checking Fran times, etc if you want to gain weight and get strong. since you have to do 3 endurance type workouts a week with ROTC then you should probably not do much else the rest of the week except lift heavy, eat, and rest. you can add in some bodyweight stuff like dips and pullups, a little explosive work like jumps or sprints, or some skill stuff either before or after your lifting, but that should be about it.

a week of training my look like this...

Mon - ROTC
Tues - ROTC morning, GSLP evening
Wed - ROTC morning
Thur - rest
Fri- GSLP + short conditioning
Sat - rest
Sunday - GSLP

this is just one possibility, there are endless ways you could do it. personally i would recommend at least 2 rest days a week if schedule allows. you could also choose to do GSLP 2 or 4 days a week depending on time and schedule. the point is you need to lift heavy more, eat more, rest more, and do less conditioning. yes, you may have to give up a little bit of leanness, conditioning, endurance, and the fun of doing CF workouts for a while. but if your goal is to gain weight and get strong (which will be necessary if you do want to compete eventually and/or if you want to be the most effective soldier you can be) then you have to look at the long term. conditioning is gained quickly and lost quickly. strength and size come slowly but once you have them they are easy to keep with minimal maintenence.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Andrew pretty much covered it. The only good thing about the strength work your doing is that it focuses on the main lifts, but other than that it just looks random and like it won't really give the best results.