CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I seem to have a talent for accumulating injuries...I stupidly jumped up a lot in weight on a hex bar deadlift today and experienced sharp pain at the base of my spine. There were no spasms and I stopped lifting right away. It's now around 5 hours later and I've got soreness and a lot of stiffness in my lower back. I've tried a heating pad and Ibuprofen.

Any other suggestions? Any way to get it to heal quicker?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
Ice.

Very Frequently.

Sounds obvious, but I'm always surprised at how much more quickly things tend to heal if I catch them soon enough and go nuts with the ice-pack.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Yes nix the heat for at least 48 hours and get on an ice pack as much as possible. After 48 you can alternate heat and Ice. Have you ever done any work to target your Transverse Ab and Multifidus since you say this is a recurring problem?
Old 05-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Injuries are a recurring problem, but the lower back has only been a problem twice: once when I tried a 190lb stiff legged deadlift without proper form (my spinal muscles went into spasm), and yesterday when I stupidly bumped the deadlift from 200lbs to 250lbs. I got the first rep and strained my back on the second.

The transverse ab I've done some work on but not recently. The Multifidus I don't know. What do you recommend?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:44 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
If back pain is not chronic and you have been doing crossfit workouts for any length of time then multifidus would not be the problem. Most any kind of lumbar extension triggers them. Most likely just a strain. do the feel good stuff and work back moderately if it isn't all gone pretty quick then get it checked, but spinal instability is most likely not your problem if you Deadlifting 200. Probably just strained from too big of a jump in weight like you said.