CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Is this something to worry about? Is there a way to get safe caned tuna?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Not really. Tuna has one of the highest contamination levels of all seafood. Shoot for smaller more short-lived fish because they have less time to accumulate contaminants in their tissue. I like canned chicken and turkey from TJ's. Still high quality protein minus the mercury.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thanks Greg. Any other "fast portable" protien options you would recommend from TJ's?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
The sardines in the black box are good, just beware of the breath aftermath.

TJ's tongol tuna had some of the lowest levels of the different types of tuna tested by this news channel: http://cbs2.com/consumer/local_story_037194456.html . I realize that wasn't your question though.

If you are "zoning", the Organic Food Bars are close to Zone by themselves, typically around 4 fat, 3 carb, and 2 protein. I just add another block of protein and call it good (I often do this with 1/4 cup of almonds).

There's the wild smoked Portlock salmon, it's semi-affordable if you can buy the one pound size. The canned wild salmon isn't bad either, 5 blocks of protein per can.

In terms of avoiding mercury and PCBs and still eating fish, that's a tough one. That's why I take my Geronova R-Plus alpha-lipoic acid supplement plus my other antioxidants every day, I'm likely adding some cilantro pesto and chlorella soon as a preventative.

Actually, I'm going to start a new thread with an article on heavy metal detox that can be done at home right now.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
As for salomon..most of the salmon (canned or otherwise) that is labeled "Atlantic Salmon" is farm raised in Chile.

read this:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/MN185582.DTL

Yuck.

Again this is for salmon labeled "Atlantic"
Old 03-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
No problem Kevin, I think nuts and seeds are great ones too. Loaded with nutrients plus all the good mono's and protein. My favorite is hard boile eggs; probably your best bet for complete protein.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

i've heard the same- all 'atlantic salmon' is farmed, meaning high levels of toxins. they live in thier own filth after all...

pacific salmon is supposedly better because it is more often caught in the wild. i don't know if this is really true or not though. i grew up in the maritimes so i've seen a lot of salmon farms. i never been out west to verify how many are still swimming up river!

-t.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thanks for all the great info guys.

Greg, are you talking egg white or whole egg for most complete protien?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I'm not sure how bad canned tuna is for you... I might search for some test results for PCB content today. Attached is a study showing mercury content. I have read (not confirmed) that in canned tuna, the smaller and younger fish are used, which would have smaller amounts of toxins due to age or size. The larger fish get used for fillets I presume. Also, PCBs reside in fatty tissue. A 6 oz can of tuna has 1.5 grams of fat or less according to the nutrition label. I don't know if there is a correlation, but because canned tuna is low in fat I would propose that it might also be low in PCBs (unconfirmed).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf vandeslice-Hg-tuna.pdf (1.04 MB, 239 views)
Old 03-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).... largely banned a few decades ago, but still hanging around. Bioremediation, clean up task forces…. but still an Aroclor world. This only one of many toxicants. One of these days, Mother Nature is going to get mad at us, and wipe us out.